1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pam Ward: She gone

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by dixiehack, May 21, 2012.

1. JosephC.Myers

JosephC.Myers Active Member

True. With as many games as they do, goodness knows there's a place for her somewhere.

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Highest praise to a play-by-play announcer: I never noticed her. And never really understood all the hate. If you're watching Minnesota - Indiana football, you've got bigger problems than Pam Ward.

3. JosephC.Myers

JosephC.Myers Active Member

Yeah, she did draw a lot of games that weren't much to write home about. Hard to make chicken salad out of chicken.....feathers.

4. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Bernie Bierman and the survivors of Gophers Nation will not just sit there and take that.

I thought she was fine, too. In fact, she called perhaps my favorite college game ever: the 2003 Division III title game when St. John's ended Mount Union's 55-game winning streak (I'm sure everyone here remembers where they were...). Her partner was Spielman that day and he was the annoying one. "Can you believe they don't tackle in practice! That's no way to play defense!"

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

True, and ESPN lets those guys go all the time and they don't make a blip in the blogosphere (remember Doug Bell? Me neither!), so there is that.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Ward was a perfectly competent if unmemorable announcer in the few games I ever watched that she did.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

God that was some riveting prose. And...hehe...get this...Mike Patrick is a...snorfsnorf....girl...hahahaha!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  8. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

It wasn't that he was great, dools. It was that she is bad.

9. dooley_womack1

I switch among the 3-4 first slate of TV games, depending on who was on commercial break, so I'd catch snippets of Pam each week. Yeah, she's not capable of the deeper timbre a guy has, so she did come off as a bit thin sounding in comparison, kinda like Mike Love is as a vocalist. I think she was firmly ensconced in the mediocre middle. Given that ESPN clearly wanted to bury her on the Z-tier of early Big Ten games, it's surprising they would go to the trouble of canning her.

10. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

The best way I can put it -- she did not have the ability to make big moments in a game sound big.

And please, all, let's not pre-empt that by saying there are no big moments in an Indiana-Minnesota game. There are if that's the game you want to see.

11. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

I like Pam Ward most of the time.
    And I respect her for always working hard.
    That second part made me like her even more.

12. dooley_womack1

Worst. Haiku. Ever

Draft saved Draft deleted