1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pam Oliver Lays Out Fox

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Sep 5, 2014.

1. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Isn't Siragusa considered a sideline reporter.

2. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Oliver was working the ESPN Sunday night game when Buddy Ryan famously threw a haymaker at Kevin Gilbride.
    Fart has game tape of this. I will watch it later to confirm but I recall her doing a lot of legwork that night on what happened to create that situation.
    Now, this was almost 25 years ago when she was younger and hungrier, but she was far from the worst of her kind when she worked the sidelines.

3. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Deitsch has been carrying the torch for the "poor Pam Oliver" story for months now. Nobody watched a NFL game because of Pam Oliver and nobody will watch because of Erin Andrews.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Alex Flanagan got pulled from ND telecast after 7 years and wrote a classy blog post

http://alexflanagan.com/blog/my-goodbye-to-notre-dame

5. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

And that's the way one goes out -- especially for whatever her next project is.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It's tough for women, the only avenue they have is sideline/courtside reporter (at least on the broadcast nets) - it's the biggest gig/most exposure available and there is no job to move "up" to from there.

And any time I see one of the pre-game hosts sitting down face to face with a player for an interview - it's an immediate channel changer. Surprised some hotshot producer hasn't found a way to reformat them into something watchable: A walk and talk, Playing Madden, over a meal, fishing...anything

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

The Hannah Storms of sportscasting are few and so very far between.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

No . . . just a cheap-shot clown show.

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Phyllis George and then Jayne Kennedy were doing that on the NFL Today on CBS nearly 40 years ago.

10. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

She acknowledge all of that in the piece. I don't think she's kidding herself at all. That doesn't mean she can't feel humiliated. This might be a non-story for SI, but it's absolutely a story for Essence. To Oliver's credit, she said she didn't think it was race-related. That was the question Essence was seeking to answer.

Maybe splitting hairs here, but Essence didn't present it as an essay. It was "as told to". Fine line maybe, but I'm willing to give her the benefit of the doubt. I can totally see the scenario unfolding where Jeannine Amber gets the interview, records it, then decides rather than writing a quote and transition story it works better just letting Oliver speak.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Jayne Kennedy. Mmmmmmmmm.

12. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Her Playboy pictorial was among the biggest disappointments of my teenage years,

Draft saved Draft deleted