1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pam Oliver Lays Out Fox

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Sep 5, 2014.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

That is great, illustrative, wordplay. Well done.

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Wow, the Ax is a name from the past. He was great on the early Breeders' Cup broadcasts.

3. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I only thought of Ax when I was trying to think of an "information" guy on the old NBC pregame shows -- which I generally avoided as CBS had the better product. All I remembered was Pete Axthelm doing a piece on the Patriots before the 1985 AFC Title Game, about the team's futility.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Axthelm: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaFylDzP8_s

5. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I was jogging my memory for other insider guys. Gary Myers was the guy on Inside the NFL for a decent while.

6. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

True humiliation would have come if the Fox execs would have taken her to dinner and said, "Erin has the game with Joe and Troy. Tony Siragusa has the B-game and you'll be on the next regional game. Let me give you Thom Brehnaman's cell phone and you can get acquainted."

If THAT happened, that would be humiliating.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Now Pete, that guy had a badonkadonk.

8. ThomsonONE

ThomsonONE Member

Let me preface by saying that I think ALL sideline reporters are unnecessary and often intrusive and annoying, so I would be happier if they eliminated Pam Oliver's role and replaced her with no one.

Every single athlete she has ever interviewed has been or will be replaced by someone younger, quicker, stronger at that position. Just the way life is in a very competitive field. Somehow she should get to do her role as long as she wants, never being pushed by anyone coming up from behind? Cry me a river, she's been highly overpaid relative to the value of her contributions to viewers for almost two decades. She hit the lottery and is complaining. Shut up.

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Or less expensive.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

If sideline reporters were men, the "hey, younger replacements always take over" would be one thing. For a woman in a TV position, it could be actionable, an action a network would be well advised to settle quietly.

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

At the same time, though, with so much of the network shows being producer-driven, did she?

12. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Seen worse, like a female reporter putting her arm around former Rutgers QB Ryan Hart and patting him on the back.

Draft saved Draft deleted