1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pam Oliver Lays Out Fox

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Sep 5, 2014.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

http://www.si.com/nfl/2014/09/04/pam-oliver-erin-andrews-fox-sports-nfl-sideline-reporters?xid=aol_home&ncid=webmail4

2. joe

joe Active Member

Sideline reporters add nothing to the broadcast and are a waste of airtime. Oliver has made a great living doing nothing, and for many years doing it poorly. So there.

3. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I generally agree but thought Oliver was one of the few in this phylum who actually brought something to a football broadcast.
    Plus she has been self-made; a look at her resume shows steady apprenticeship in a few backwater towns before her break at ESPN.

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I never even knew she was with the network's "A" team for broadcasts.

To me, she was just someone who occasionally was given a chance to say something from the sidelines during some game.

Someone with a greatly inflated sense of self-importance, it seems.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I always thought she did a nice job.

But she's kidding herself if she doesn't think sex appeal played a part in her getting that job in the first place.

TV, out with the not-old-but-not-young-anymore, in with the new. Old story.

6. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Not unlike many print journalists.

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I gotta think at least some of this kicks back to the idea that Andrews' primary role at Fox, initially, was to be a host. A CFB master of ceremonies. And after she flopped in that role, here she is taking Oliver's job.

Oliver's performance in the NFC title game, when she looked visibly wounded for Jim Harbaugh, was as bad as I've seen any professional.

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

And, in the most famous sideline reporter moment in NFL history, Erin Andrews nailed the interview with Richard Sherman. She hung right in there and asked a great followup.

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

"Even before my bosses told me what was going on, there had been rumblings that my days as a sideline reporter were coming to an end," Oliver wrote in an essay with Jeannine Amber.

Jesus. This brilliant broadcast professional couldn't even write her own essay? She needed the LeBron James treatment?

10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Does Oliver not know she got the job 20 years ago because she was hot?

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Tom Rinaldi has no idea what you're talking about.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Oh, I dunno if "Who was talking about you?" was a great followup. But it served to let Sherman do Sherman.

Draft saved Draft deleted