1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Palmeiro, Polk, Larkin elected to College Baseball HOF

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by buckweaver, Mar 25, 2009.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Blitz and Henry probably have a lot of fond memories of "Thunder and Lightning" at MSU. I grew up hearing all those stories from my uncle, an avid Bulldogs fan, too.

Random story: When I was a student at Georgia, I caught a foul ball in the ninth inning of the super regional final against Florida State the year they went to Omaha. Went over to Polk's office at Stegeman the next day and he signed it for me. Always thought that was very cool of him to have the open access he did on campus.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

How DARE you not mention Darren Dreifort!

He's still got six years left on his Dodgers deal, I believe.

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Almost worth the trip to hear Polk's inevitable NCAA rant.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Will they also mention that Larkin was part of the Michigan baseball scandal of the 1990s that saw Bud Middaugh put players up close to rent-free in housing owned by someone very high up in Michigan's current administration and got money from the football program sales kickbacks?

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I agree. Between him and Teh Rickey, it's going to be a helluva year for Hall of Fame speeches.

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

... And $47 million deferred.

7. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I'd rather exhume James Polk from the grave and hear him speak.

8. Angola!

Angola! Guest

How lame is college baseball when its HOF is in Lubbock?

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Only reason I haven't been yet. And I sure ain't going out of my way to fucking Lubbock to see it. If I happen to ever be in the area -- and god knows why I would be -- then I'll make it a point to go.

They should move it to Austin. Or Omaha.

10. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

What are Lubbock's connections to college baseball?

11. A lot of folks in Lubbock worked hard for several years to get the HOF there -- put up the money and built a nice facility.

And the connection is that there are two successful programs there: Texas Tech, which had a nice run in the 1990s and into this decade as a top-10 team and Lubbock Christian, an NAIA powerhouse for years. Larry Hays coached both places and finished with somewhere around 1,600 wins, which was fourth all-time when he retired after last season.

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Is admission to the College Baseball Hall Of Fame $11.70?

Draft saved Draft deleted