1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Palm Beach, Tweets, Virginia Tech, Miami

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Feb 1, 2012.

1. For me, it's not even so much about the publishing of the information, which in this case did not revolve around anything as serious as a death. It's about the assumption of privacy.

If I found out my best friend let my girlfriend eavesdrop on our calls, I'd stop calling him. We only talk about pretty banal stuff, but it's the principle of it all.

In the case of Bliss and the assistant, he broke a rule to catch someone breaking a rule in a serious, egregious fashion. Two wrongs don't make a right, or whatever, but I think it's OK to burn a bridge built on trust when it comes to something like that. Listening in on a recruit calling a coach to tell him the bad news doesn't live up to that standard for me. There's a moral gray area and you just have to try and figure out where on that spectrum your case is.

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I don't think legalities come into play here because we have no reason to think the reporter was taping during the call. But it's still unethical. Had the reporter identified himself or the player mentioned that a reporter was listening to the conversation, the coach likely would have changed his tone. And either way, it's kind of absurd that the reporter didn't know who was talking.

I also agree that there was no need to rush these quotes onto Twitter. He could have written a quick blog post and posted the link on Twitter, which would have theoretically given him time to ask the player, "Who was that on the phone?" And if he wrote the blog post properly, he would have been linked all over the place.

3. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Definitely curious to know if the reporter recorded it. We might never know.

4. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

Taking it a step further, how is it any different than a source simply telling you what happened in any given meeting? Or what a coach said in the locker room during halftime? Many situations in which not all the parties privy to a conversation consent to disclosure of the discussion. And, if anything, a situation like this or the one you suggest allows for greater accuracy, because you eliminate the hearsay problems.

5. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Don't know many reporters in this day and age who don't record everything. But you're right. We'll probably never know.

6. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

In that circumstance, though, you don't run quotes, you run generalities and "according to."

7. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

If you call someone who commits a commit, do you call someone who decommits* a decommit? As in "Virginia Tech decommit Bobby Wiretap said this reporter should get a good attorney."

*not encouraging the use of this phrase or "unfriend"

8. Johnny Dangerously

Don't make me unknow you.

9. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

If commit doesn't fit, you have to admit.

10. Johnny Dangerously

Just now, NBC announce Cris Collinsworth used contain as a noun, way before my over-under of late first quarter.

11. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

They lost contain?

12. Johnny Dangerously

Yes, as the announce said.

Draft saved Draft deleted