1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Palm Beach Post

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MMatt60, Jun 23, 2008.

1. Andy _ Kent

Andy _ Kent Member

Two names that have been confirmed are golf writer Craig Dolch and long-time preps writer Steve Dorsey, who pretty much was the dean of South Florida prep sports, especially after Dave Heeren retired from the S-S a couple of years back.

2. MMatt60

MMatt60 Member

I don't know the writers AK mentions, but I do know that everyone has three weeks or so to back out, if they desire.

Also, regarding 2muchcoffee's comment, I am told that no one expects to get rejected. When you're cutting by 40 percent, I guess you can't get too picky.

3. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

If Dorsey is indeed leaving, it's a huge blow to the Post, although I'm sure the bean counters don't care. Steve is one of the great guys in the business and knows his stuff as well as anyone.

4. Italian_Stallion

Italian_Stallion Active Member

I concur. Steve is a great guy, and his departure is a huge loss for the paper. I remember discussing things with him back in May. He had a lot of years in.

5. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about both. In losing writers like Dolch and Dorsey, the state papers are starting to lose institutional knowledge, and some credibility goes with that. Dolch has endured things far worse than this, but he doesn't deserve it.

6. To clear up a couple matters ....

As of Friday morning, about 90 people accepted the buy-out offer. Employees have been told that no one will be rejected -- which is good. Fewer firings (hopefully). Believe it or not, Sports may weather the storm. But Metro, Accent and the copy desk are going to look like ghost towns.

And Andy, I think it's only fair if we hold off posting names. Employees now have a month to re-consider the offer, so any of the people mentioned above could decide to retract.

7. Andy _ Kent

Andy _ Kent Member

Kid,

I agree with your request, however, someone else had already mentioned Craig Dolch on another thread concerning the future of golf writers, and as far as I knew, Steve Dorsey's decision has been public knowledge for a little while. But I appreciate your point.

8. Sam Craig

Sam Craig Member

Wow, if Steve Dorsey is leaving, that is a huge loss. Steve's a great guy and I agree with mediaguy. He's always helpful and knowlegable if I need info on teams or players in his area. It's longtime writers like Steve, especially with their pulse on the local community, that connects papers to the readers. I hate seeing him go. In recent years, Florida has lost some of its best and long-time prep writers for one reason or another -- move to the internet, retirement, layoffs/buyouts. Who's left?

9. Lollygaggers

Lollygaggers Member

Weathering the storm can mean lots of different things. Are you saying you think no one in sports will be laid off after the buyouts?

10. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Wouldn't they move people around to repopulate the ghost towns?

11. MMatt60

MMatt60 Member

Miami Herald sports section down the road seems to have come out relatively OK after the latest round of downsizing. And I emphasize the word relative.

12. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Dorsey's that one guy almost every department has whose encyclopedic, savant-like knowledge of area prep sports is exceeded only by his enthusiasm for his job.

He's known all over the state, from top to bottom.

Draft saved Draft deleted