1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Palm Beach Post

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MMatt60, Jun 23, 2008.

1. MMatt60

MMatt60 Member

Mediator is correct in the largest sense. But, in fairness, I don't think the PBP people were Web techs. Many were/are very serious journalists. But they didn't have time to deal with sports, or were not experienced in sports.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Journalism as it has been practiced for the past 200 years isn't working, though.

Younger consumers of news get their information in different ways.

Be good to have a few folks thinking outside the box than 20 people wondering how to open the damn box.

3. Mediator

Mediator Member

I think it's less that journalism has changed, it's that the advertising model no longer supports it. People still want news, and the bones of that doesn't change no matter where they get it or how big and colorful the charts are.

Advertising and newspapers are no longer locked together. Too many people have the metaphorical presses. We need to find another way to support the content.

4. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Are Burke and Moschella still at the Post?

5. Lollygaggers

Lollygaggers Member

99% sure they are, and Burke had made the Web his baby after leaving the SE post. That's why it's surprising the Web dept. there has lagged so far behind because Burke usually has great vision and works hard.

6. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I know the place well, love it, and am just sick about this. Not much more I can say.

7. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Was communicating with a friend there today; some of what they're talking about in terms of reining in beyond these staff cutbacks is almost equally depressing.

The proud, talented people still there will work their asses off, but without the resources they've had for a long time. And it's simply going to be impossible to do it the way they have.

8. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

I couldn't agree more. I don't think journalists need to change how they do things. The ad reps need to come up with a new plan on how THEY do things.
    At my last stop, I was told the ad reps couldn't sell ads for a basketball tab. are fuckn kidding me?
    yet, they don't change, they work less, usually make more, and are one of the last group of people to get axed.

9. Lollygaggers

Lollygaggers Member

Anyone know anything firm about news with the Post? I think buyouts have been offered by now, but I'm not positive.

10. MMatt60

MMatt60 Member

Deadline to apply for buyouts was yesterday.

The paper is looking for about 100 newsroom people to exit.

If 100 don't volunteer (and that is not happening), layoffs will commence mid-August.

To answer question above, Tim Burke is now strictly a Web guy in the front office. Moschella is sports editor.

11. BigDog

BigDog Active Member

They got very close to the 100-buyout-application mark, I've been told. Very close.

Will they all take it? Who knows.

12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

And of course, some who applied for buyouts won't be accepted so management will have to lay off somebody who didn't necessarily want to leave ... all the while keeping the unsuccessful buyout applicant in mind for "further cuts down the road, if necessary."

Draft saved Draft deleted