1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Palm Beach Post

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MMatt60, Jun 23, 2008.

1. SportySpice

SportySpice Member

I've heard that in sports, even in the good times, most staff stories got two usually thorough reads before going in the paper. Some that came in during the day got 3-5 different people looking at it. Now, it sounds like it's the same as a lot of shops. Quick look by an overworked rim guy and a glance by a copy chief who has just enough time to fix a headline and/or the lead and make sure it doesn't say "fuck" or "shit" anywhere and fire it through. Welcome to the new world order...or something.

2. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

A survivor attempts to defend the indefensible.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/opinion/content/opinion/epaper/2008/08/17/a10a_schultzcol_0817.html

3. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Love this lie:

``Our hope, though, is that the cuts will get us through these bad times, and then we can reassess and start building back up.''

Building back up! Hahahahahahahahaha!

4. MGoBlue

MGoBlue Member

Sorry, Matt. Should have been a little more clear.
    All that editing and proofing is done on newsside.
    Still learning the sports operation (though it's nice to go back to my roots).

5. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

A few days late, but I need to chime in on this one. Both Sears and Severance are quality people, as evidenced by, if nothing else, the fact that neither of them murdered a young deskslave during his internship there some years ago. Actually, I take that back. The word "murder" implies that it's done for no reason. Presented with all the facts, no jury in the world would have convicted either of them.

All these situations suck, but every now and then one comes home to roost. Best of luck to both, as well as Bonikowski.

6. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

A few days?

7. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Damn, I read August and thought it said October.

LOL!

Draft saved Draft deleted