1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Palm Beach Post today

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SF_Express, Aug 14, 2009.

1. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I don't have anything profound to say except to post this link:

http://blogs.browardpalmbeach.com/pulp/2009/08/palm_beach_post_newsroom_music.php

and put up this thread for anybody who has any information that might be of interest to those who are familiar with the paper and its people today.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So what is the plan to "morph" the three large south florida dailies?

3. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Well, there's more and more talk about shared beats and yielding territories and less and less competition and, of course, talk of anti-trust from those involved in the layoffs, but very little likelihood they're going to get any relief that way, sad to say. Just the kinds of things people say when consolidation like this occurs.

4. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

That link within the link about Sam Zell and the possibility of his exit is very interesting.

5. Lollygaggers

Lollygaggers Member

Looks like the management positions have been announced, according to a comment on that blog post:

From Tim Burke:
    All: I’m happy to announce the managers for our new Content, Production and Presentation teams. Thank you to everyone who took the time -- when I realize there isn’t a whole lot of time these days -- to interview and share your vision/ideas and incredible passion about what you do. The 30-something interviews I took part in the past week were worth every second. More timelines and details below, but first here is the team:

CONTENT (Nick Moschella)

Culture Editor: Alina Lambiet
    Assistant: Larry Aydlette
    Community Editor: Bob King
    Assistant: Tom Peeling

MoneyEditor: Carolyn DiPaolo

Breaking News Editor: Rick Christie
    Assistant: Mary Hladky

Sports Editor: Dave Tepps

WatchdogEditor: Paul Blythe
    Assistant: Tony Doris

PRODUCTION (Holly Baltz)

Weekend/planning editor: Jim Coleman
    Day Editor: Eric Weiss
    Night Editor: Rick Robb

PRESENTATION (Jan Tuckwood)
    Print Presentation Editor: Rebecca Vaughan
    Web Presentation Editor: Jeff Sterling
    Special sections editor: Amy Royster Assistant special sections editor: Michelle Bernzweig
    Multimedia editor: Mark Edelson
    Multimedia assistant: Greg Lovett

Great decision to keep Tepps there in charge of sports.

6. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Big Tepps fan, too. I remember him pulling that noon to 2 a.m. desk shift on Sundays in Miami.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Tepps is great and when Burke was still a SE, he was one of the best 4-5 in the business and I know a lot of people whose opinions I respect, who thought he was the best.

Awhile back, Burke interviewed at my paper. He turned them down, as he did just about every major paper that came calling. When he left, one of our deputies said, "We never should have brought him in..." I was stunned and said, "How can you say that, he was great..."

He said, "I meant, every candidate after him is going to look like shit."

The guy they hired was worse than shit.

8. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Burke was indeed a great one, one of the best I've worked for.

I feel badly somewhat that his ascendancy has coincided with what's going on in the business, but he's a good guy to have on your side. And Tepps is a star as well.

I've worked with way too many people in this business, it seems. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted