1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Palm Beach Post seeks copy editor

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Dave Tepps, Oct 28, 2010.

1. Dave Tepps

Dave Tepps New Member

The Palm Beach Post is seeking a sports copy editor eager to work with writers to improve stories. We put a high priority on checking and cross-checking facts and the ability to write graceful and direct display type. We value energetic editors who can add to a collegial atmosphere.

The best candidates will have at least two years of professional experience on the copy desk of a daily newspaper. Page-design skills are helpful but not required. Enthusiasm for working with our Web-site editors is vital, and we will offer instruction in online editing.

This job requires night and weekend hours. A typical shift might be 3:30 to midnight.

The Palm Beach Post competes tenaciously on the biggest stories in South Florida and beyond. Our beats include three pro teams, four major college programs, golf and high schools. We have two full-time general columnists and a Heat columnist/reporter.

To apply, send a resume, cover letter and any appropriate work samples to Dave Tepps (dave_tepps@pbpost.com). The mailing address is 2751 South Dixie Highway, West Palm Beach, Fla. 33405.

2. Lollygaggers

Lollygaggers Member

As an alum, I can vouch for the Post sports desk as being a great experience. You'll handle some major stories and the South Florida sports market is endlessly entertaining. I don't think the newsroom there is quite the machine it once was, but Tepps is first class and you'll handle some pretty good writers' copy.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I've never heard a bad thing about the place.

4. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Well, other than laying off half the newsroom staff.

5. jeffgreer

jeffgreer New Member

I just started at the Post a few months ago and I can say that we have a good bunch of guys on the sports desk. They've been wonderful to me so far, and I've enjoyed getting to know them over the first few months on the job. You will work hard but it will be worth it. I highly recommend this gig.

6. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

How does cost of living nearby stack up with compensation? That'd be my main concern.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

As did every other paper in the country.

8. Buckeye12

Buckeye12 Member

Pay range guess?

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

Not enough unfortunately.

10. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

Cost of living in PB County is lowest it's been in 10-12 years, I would think. You how many people bought vacation homes there that are now being sold by banks for 35 cents on the dollar?

11. Lollygaggers

Lollygaggers Member

I'm sure pay depends on experience, but I would guess they'd start at about $30,000-$35,000 and go up if you're an experienced stud.

Draft saved Draft deleted