1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Palm Beach Post no longer covering the Miami Heat?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SportySpice, Sep 5, 2009.

1. SportySpice

SportySpice Member

Sounds like the most recent cuts hit the Palm Beach Post yesterday, and it sounds like Chris Perkins is out and the Post might not be covering the Heat anymore.
    Saw it in the comments here: http://blogs.browardpalmbeach.com/pulp/2009/09/palm_beach_post_layoffs.php#comments
    If so, that's really unfortunate. Perkins is a great guy, a solid writer and reporter and will do anything asked of him.
    Not covering the Heat is not smart in that market. Then again, the way this business is, "smart" depends on who's defining the word: journalists, readers or the execs.

Can anyone confirm any of this?

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Lots of content sharing among the three papers going on down there now.

3. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Palm Beach actually has refused to share content with the S-S.

This could be interesting

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm stunned that a Heat writer would be shown the door before any of the hockey writers.

5. They don't have any hockey writers. Former hockey writer there now covers the Dolphs.

6. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Mizzou, what Ogie said. Hockey has been long gone from the Post's core coverage.

7. jimmydangles

jimmydangles Member

Quoted for untruth.

8. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Back at you.

9. BigDog

BigDog Active Member

Hope the Post didn't do this so they can use Miami Herald copy on Heat. Today, the Herald "broke" the story saying Wade will opt out next summer.

I read that in the Post two months ago.

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

Perhaps Mr. Tepps can explain what's going on.

11. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

So is Chris Perkins leaving or staying?

12. SportySpice

SportySpice Member

I don't know. Apparently they're keeping things really hush-hush as to who's gone in this latest round of cuts, even inside the building.
    I do know, however, that the Post, which has shared photos and some stories with the Herald for at least a few years, is definitely sharing content with the Sun-Sentinel, especially photos.
    All the sharing and beat cuts (the Post dumped regular coverage of the Panthers last season) in South Florida is more than a little unnerving.

Draft saved Draft deleted