1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Palm Beach Post Cuts

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Lollygaggers, Mar 6, 2008.

1. Lollygaggers

Lollygaggers Member

Don't think I've seen this anywhere on the board yet, but it's more bad news and really the first coming from this paper in a while:

http://blogs.browardpalmbeach.com/pulp/2008/03/palm_beach_post_to_cut_staff.php

No idea as far as how many will be affected, but it's not the best way to inform the staff by any means.

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Bizarre methodology by a paper considered the class, design- and management-wise, of the SoFla trio.

3. the_lorax

the_lorax Member

shocked. I had an internship there not too long ago and was so impressed with facilities/capabilities/staff size that I asked how it was all being paid for. The intern coordinator (yeah, they even had one of those) smirked at me and said that with how many real estate ads they sold, money wasn't a problem. And they always acted like it, too. Sent reporters to Wimbledon, French Open, random golf tournaments around the country, NFL combine (strangely not the World Cup).
    I guess the real estate pool dries up, even in SoFla.

4. Simon_Cowbell

The depression will rebound quickly in SoFla, but it is bad now.

5. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

That's about the one bright spot for places like Florida in California -- a lot of times, they're both first into this kind of economy, but then first out.

6. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I still think PBPost is a decent read. I'll have to wait and see what the heck they do to the paper before I chime my two cents in...

7. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

As a Cox employee, I've always held this deluded thought that I was safe, because Cox was diverse and financially well-off enough to not worry about things like cuts. But with the AJC cutbacks of last year, and now this, I have to reconsider that belief.

8. MMatt60

MMatt60 Member

People say that the PB Post publisher has had a lot of sway in keeping Cox from implementing deep cuts.

The staff should remain very healthy, however, even after some tightening.

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Active Member

Any chance we can get a transcription of the posted memo here?

10. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

They don't say how deep the cuts will be.

There is always going to be a lot of money to be made in South Florida. One of the three papers ought to bite the bullet and take a short-term hit to try to grow at the expense of the other two.

History buffs may note that the way The Miami Herald established dominance over the Miami News was during World War II newsprint rationing. While the News reacted by cutting news hole, the Herald cut advertising and beat the pants off the News. This is going to continue to be an attractive market, and it is one well worth fighting for, even if it means making an exception to company-wide slashing.

11. Simon_Cowbell

App that is exactly where I was exactly 8 years ago .... and then Dan Marino retired on the same day my stupid chain bought Times-Mirror and I lost tens of thousands of dollars.

12. Simon_Cowbell

Norma Rae????

Norma Rae???

Draft saved Draft deleted