1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Palin photo on cover of Newsweek

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by PCLoadLetter, Nov 19, 2009.

1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

For consideration:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

He's not wearing bicycle shorts. No comparison.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Could it be said that this is because there's never really been a political figure like Palin before? Or, if there have, that they weren't in this type of media climate?

4. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Better get used to it. If Newsweek survives, there will be much more of this. Just being Newsweek isn't good enough any more. You have to get noticed.

5. 21

21 Well-Known Member

To some degree, I can see the editorial comment in the photo: How do you (Republican party) solve a problem like Sarah (potential party leader who willingly poses in short running shorts)?

But I seriously doubt that was the deciding factor. As Smasher said....just being Newsweek isn't enough any more. Gotta sell.

6. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

I'm sorry. I don't understand how it's not obvious what has happened here...it was a horseshit move by Newsweek to use that photo. Should she have posed for it? I don't know. She is a new breed. Lines are being crossed and reconfigured every day in this climate. Newsweek is only using that image to sell the magazine. That's it. And does the general public realize that photo is not from a Newsweek photo-op? Is it possible they believe she actually posed for it? Perhaps Newsweek is banking on the American public being generally stupid. Maybe some of you think they are (and I'm not talking about anyone in particular)...but the sentiment pisses me off.

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I've tried pretty hard to stick to journalism.

But isn't that what Sarah Palin's banking on? Isn't that the whole point they're making?

8. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Gotta sell, true. But when you use a photo and hed like that to sell what amounts to two pages of body text inside (four pages overall), you've not only lost the right to be taken seriously, but you've pretty much porked anyone who was stupid enough to buy the mag at the newsstand without looking inside first. If you do that kind of cover, you pretty much have to deliver something, and Newsweek doesn't. It's fluff. They should have touted on the cover line that they have a picture inside of Sarah holding a weiner (the Oscar Meyer kind). Same type of oversell. They're as shallow as Palin is.

Not that I have an iota of sympathy for Palin. If you pose like that and don't envision someone republishing out of context, you're an imbecile.

BTW, the edition I saw on the newsstand tonight (I didn't buy it) credits Runner's World on the cover. I don't know if they did that originally or fixed it on the replate.

9. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Can we all agree that women in America should stop wearing shorts? Or showing skin of any kind? Who do these women think they are? It's just not right in our culture.

10. ringer

ringer Active Member

Newsweek just lost all credibility. As for Palin's...she had none to begin with.

Hey, it just me or does anyone else think Palin trying to evoke Mary Ann from "Gilligan's Island?"

11. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

They're both guilty.

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Concur.

Draft saved Draft deleted