1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Palin photo on cover of Newsweek

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by PCLoadLetter, Nov 19, 2009.

1. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

I think my hangup is that it's Newsweek, a general purpose newsmagazine that shouldn't be too snarky or overwhelming with its disdain, unless it's Hitler or a baby eater. Maybe if it was New Republic or something. But Newsweek and Time should be a little more neutral in its cover treatment, or at least less cute.

2. PaulS

PaulS Member

Bush league move by Newsweek.

3. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Ok, why?

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

No, you didn't. Because I didn't say what you said.

What I said was that how the subject wants to appear shouldn't be the driving force behind a decision like this.

Any journalist would understand that.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Again another example of why the politics thread was locked

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I think that was my hangup, too, initially. It's certainly jarring. It also leads to an opinion piece, not a news story, which I think makes a difference.

The logical next step is, is this where Newsweek is headed? Obviously, they're making a lot of changes.

7. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

But isn't that, sadly, the way things are going? In order to stand out, and get people to buy what you're selling, you have to do something that's going to draw attention to yourself in whatever means you have at your disposal?

In Newsweek's case it means having this as a cover photo and headline.

8. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Maybe this IS where Newsweek is headed. But if they go that route, and Time follows, what becomes of the middle-of-the-road news magazine? Gone the way of the telegraph?

9. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

If cable news has taught us anything, it is that people want to be told what to think, and opinions, while as common as assholes, are much more interesting than straight news stories.

10. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Thanks to PC for starting this thread. I started and resisted several times because of the whole politics taboo, but agree there's a serious journalism discussion to be had.

To me, it shows serious naivete for any political figure to pose in short shorts, or any stage of semi-undress, female or male. That said, she looks good, and clearly works hard to maintain her physique, which isn't an easy thing for the mother of 5. But goofy/provocative/silly/ill-advised photos last forever (see Kerry, John), and this one was a mistake.

For Newsweek, so very tacky. Seems like the kind of cover someone proposes, everyone smirks, then giggles, then completely loses it at the possibility....and then the grownups say, 'okay, come one, we need a cover.' Maybe the grownups were absent that day.

11. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

They got us in SPJ talking about the cover, didn't they? Mission successful for Newsweek.

12. Many will try, but none will deliver a better post in this thread.

Draft saved Draft deleted