1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Palin photo on cover of Newsweek

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by PCLoadLetter, Nov 19, 2009.

1. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

She posed for a photo for Running World. Not Newsweek. Time, place and manner. She (probably) wouldn't dress like that for a Newsweek cover shoot.

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Marion Berry probably didn't want to be on the front page smoking crack, either.

Not much of an argument.

3. Babs

Babs Member

Agree.

4. MartinEnigmatica

MartinEnigmatica Active Member

It's a really strange move, particularly considering the response from Runner's World:

I also read somewhere the hed is an allusion to "Maria" from The Sound of Music, which features the phrase How Do You Solve a Problem Like Maria and portrays Maria as irresponsible, frivolous, jokey, a clown, etc. I'm not sure if that's what they were going for, but the cover's pretty much a journalistic joke.

5. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

According to the Runner's World site, the photo was used with their permission. That strikes me as as bad of form as anything in this whole ordeal. Or am I crazy?

6. Mystery Meat II

Marion Barry smoking crack is breaking news.

Sarah Palin in running gear is the opposite of that.

Hey, maybe they can run that one shot of Obama smoking, the one d_b had as his side sig, as their next cover! He probably didn't want that photo taken either.

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Maybe. Oprah also had her highest ratings in two years for the show with Palin on, beating the Whitney Houston show.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I just do not understand the obsession in general with "all things Palin"

It seems like in the past 3 days MSNBC has devoted half their programing time to analyzing every word uttered and every move that Palin has made on her book tour.

Clearly all the publicity is helping her sell books.

9. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Really? Did not know that. Interesting.

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

You are conflating two things that are not the same. If Obama posed for that picture, I suppose, that argument would hold water.

11. Mystery Meat II

Context is the thread. Sarah Palin posed in running gear for a running magazine aimed at runners. Put on the cover of Newsweek with a pretty negative tagline, that's something else. Are all photos fair game for all magazine covers, regardless of whether they were the intended for all of them? Especially since Runner's World is claiming that Newsweek had no right to the photo in the first place?

The use of the photo was not unintentional. Of all the photos to use, why that?

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Because they wanted to portray Palin as an empty model. And there's an argument against doing that. There's also an argument for doing that.

But I certainly don't think it is a good argument to say, "That's not how she would want to appear on the cover of Newsweek, so Newsweek shouldn't have her appear that way."

Plenty of people don't want to appear the way they end up appearing. That's no argument.

The issue of whether Newsweek had permission is separate. And they surely should not have run it if they didn't.

Draft saved Draft deleted