1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Palin photo on cover of Newsweek

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by PCLoadLetter, Nov 19, 2009.

1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I will preface this by saying I really, really do not intend for this to degenerate into a political pissing match. Really. Not my intention at all, and if it goes there, my apologies in advance. This strikes me as a very legitimate journalistic issue here, not a political one.

So, here's the current cover of Newsweek:

[​IMG]

The art is from a photo session she did with Runner's World.

Now, my question: Are you fucking kidding me?

Honestly, few people think less of Sarah Palin than I do, but this just strikes me as so demeaning and snotty. It seems hard to fathom that the editors of Newsweek thought this was a good idea, as opposed to a pissy way to give her the finger.

I know Newsweek has the rep of having a liberal slant. I read it maybe once every two or three years, so I have no opinion there.

And yes, she looks pretty darn good for a grandma.

Thoughts?

2. You and I could be brothers.
    WFW on this subject.

3. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

4. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I think Newsweek's editors thought this was a good idea because it would guarantee massive publicity, with their hope that would lead to big sales of this edition.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

There is really no way to discuss this person without that occurring, entirely by her own actions.

And that's all I have to say about that.

6. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

The counterpoint is that the photo shows the lengths Palin will go for self-promotion.

7. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

8. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I will give you that. Fair enough.
    But, that cover is plain disingenuous. Out of context, at best.

9. It's fine.

She posed for the photo.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It's sexist - and intentionally so. About the only hedge I'd give Newsweek is that the picture does show Palin as a mold-breaking Republican, she's young, female and different. How does she fit in the tent, or does she even want to be in the tent. Maybe she'll get her own.
    Forget the photo - the coverlines seem to make the claim that someone getting the attention she is getting is bad. In politics?

11. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

It is, but that's not the point here.

Here's my question. We've seen others of late that you would never have dreamed seeing from magazines like TIME and others 10 or even five years ago. Is this trend a sign that magazines are following cable news towards a more sensationalist future?

12. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Bad form by Newsweek.

Draft saved Draft deleted