1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Palin declines opportunity to be next Not-Mitt

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Uncle.Ruckus, Oct 5, 2011.

1. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

3rd party candidacy -- seriously.

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Oh, probably the same way they kept propping up Falwell after outing the Teletubby.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

She and running mate Hank Williams Jr. enter the race in January.

4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Can we just forget about a half term governor from Alaska now? Please. What has she ever done substantively? Nada. 40+ who can wear high heels, that the best the GOP has to offer?

5. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

But she's great fodder for comedians.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Palin has hold of one of the great truths of American politics. Holding office is the surest way to destroy your own influence with the public, because governing involves doing things people don't like. It's much better to be America's Backup Quarterback. Your fans will be sure you can cure all ills, you make oodles of money, and there's no payback you say or do.

7. Point of Order

Except that's not true. Not in her case and not generally.

8. Point of Order

Like Madonna, Britney Spears, Lindsey Lohan, et. al, she has that charismatic train wreck quality that is hard to turn away from.

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Then why'd she leave office halfway through her first term?

Governing is miserable. Criticizing government is a gold mine.

10. Point of Order

I get what you're saying, I'm just not that cynical. Criticizing government can be profitable and fun, sure. Her main problem is that she wasn't any good at governing and is probably incapable of thinking long-term. Governing probably is miserable for a half-wit like Palin, but her star out-of-office has already burned out for the broader public. She'll do fine as a third-rate commentator and junk author, but she'll never have the political influence she thinks she deserves.

Being governor of a shitty state worked out pretty well for Bill Clinton. Worked out pretty well for Reagan, too. Ted Kennedy had a fairly rewarding and non-miserable life. John McCain is enjoying his in-office retirement. Give me one six-year term in the Senate and I'll parlay into a Ted Kennedy-like run and love every minute of it.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Just wait until she shaves her head, goes on the drug party circuit and sleeps with half the NBA.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think this actually prolongs her 15 minutes... If she runs and gets crushed, which she would have, she's done, yesterday's news...

This way she can keep herself out there, make a ton of money writing books, doing speaking engagements and so on...

I think it's a big reason why Huckabee didn't run as well...

Draft saved Draft deleted