1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pakistani Taliban chief killed in CIA missile strike

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Aug 7, 2009.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The difference is drones are cooler and a lot more fun.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Ya think

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I suspect operational losses in the field and (as in dead CIA operators) and program overhead (as in "How do we hide this budget?) were part of the issue.

4. Boom_70

Stop droning on about this. :)

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

:D

It also points out how foolish Obama & Co. looked trying to use a program that never got beyond the concept stage to paint the Bush Admin as a bunch of sneaky bloodthirsty killers.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

BOOOOOOO!!!!!

7. Boom_70

It's duplicitous at best.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

That's awfully flighty of you. :D

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I thought the entire country was painting the Bush Admin as a bunch of sneaky, bloodthirsty killers. Did Obama even need to weigh in on that?

10. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

We didn't take the shot.

11. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

We've been hunting people like this for almost 10 years.

The CIA isn't the only organization that uses them. The Air Force and the Army use them to ID targets, route recons, diversionary tactics and so forth.

[​IMG]

Every unit, down to the platoon level, uses them.

They're so integrated into everything we do that even helicopter pilots (not me, but the attack/recon guys) can get the live video feeds in their cockpits.

I guess my point is, don't just think the spooky groups are the only ones using them, or that we've just started to use them. They're one of our best tools on the ground.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. 2muchcoffeeman

My point was that you have to be sneaky first and foremost to get these turkeys, unlike the prior policy of coming in with as much noise as possible to make a good impression in the evening press reports and opinion polls.

The enemy's first reaction to your presence should always be, "Holy fucking shit! How'd that happen?!? Where'd all those guys come from?!? Where'd they get all that stuff?!? Oh fuck! Now they did what?!? Holy crap! WTF is going on?!?"

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted