1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pakistani Activist, 14, Is Shot by Taliban

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Oct 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

You really don't see the difference between stray bullets and the targeting of a 14-year-old girl?

The mob on it's worst day doesn't kill 14-year-old girls.

The IRA didn't/doesn't target 14-year-old girls.

There is a degree of depravity involved in attempting to murder a 14-year-old girl simply because she wanted to go to school, and wanted to learn how to read.

I think we need to realize we are dealing with people that are more evil than we've previously dealt with.

And, to think, we were negotiating with these monsters back in March.

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I think there's no moral difference to be found in the murder of children. It's just as repellant in Islamabad as it is on the South Side. What do you want to do, nuke Pakistan?

Here's Chicago. Worry about Chicago.

www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/23/antonio-davis-14-fatally-_n_1621154.html

www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/14-Year-Old-Charged-in-Fatal-Shooting-of-17-Year-Old-171930101.html

3. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Agreed. And we've had threads in the past about other kids suffering horrific crimes, yet you didn't post then that the why didn't matter. So, let's be honest, your objection isn't to discussing the "why" in threads about child murder in general, instead your objection is only when it's this particular why.

All I'm saying is be honest about your true concern, which is that this thread was started with an ulterior muslim-bashing motive--which indeed may be accurate. But to suggest that the cause in general does not matter in all child murder cases is nonsense, and it's not what you actually believe either, instead it's only what you believe when it's this particular cause.

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

And the Christians who do the craziest and most violent things consider themselves the "most religious" Christians, too. So what? Should we be conflating Christianity and the Westboro Baptist Church?

It's the kind of stupidity that leads to this:

5. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

The Taliban certainly are extremely fanatical, but it doesn't always hold up that very religious Muslims are the most politically radical (think Muslim Brotherhood, etc.)

The Salafis are among the most religious sects of Muslims, but until recent years, the majority of Salafis weren't very politicized at all.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Whether or not the original post trolls anti-Muslim sentiment, all I meant to say - and have said - is that the murder of children is morally abhorrent in every case.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I might be more sympathetic to the Muslim faith if I read about more instances of the "peaceful branch" rising up and speaking out against radical muslim terrorists. It rarely happens. Perhaps this shooting of Malia will be the flash point that gets peaceful muslims to rise up and drive the taliban out of Pakistan and Afghanistan. I won't hold my breath.

Az you mention the murders in Chicago. Same thing happens there with black leaders. Al Sharpton made big news in the George Zimmerman story but seems to say little in black on black crime.

8. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Every time there's a violent incident that gets worldwide attention, there are always broad numbers of Muslims who speak out against the violence--i.e. the counter-protests after Cairo and Benghazi.

9. cranberry

Well, if the Soviets couldn't wear down the Taliban over 10 years and NATO hasn't been able to control them in recent years, what makes you think there's some easy solution out there? I like to think of the Taliban's rise as the Curse of Charlie Wilson.

10. Boom_70

They exist because of the support they get in their own community, whether gained through fear or belief in what they are doing.

Why did the KKK get traction in the South and why did they lose traction?

11. cranberry

They are feared.

So let's list the similarities between the South in the '50s and '60s and the tribal areas of Afghanistan and Pakistan.....

OK, that's all I've got.

12. Boom_70

Did you not take American History?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.