1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pakistan nearing collapse, Taliban takeover?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Apr 24, 2009.

1. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Bingo. Amazing the way things can backfire on you in the world of foreign policy.

We funded and armed these guys until they took over Afghanistan and turned on us. Then we declared war on them and drove them into hiding in Pakistan. Now they might take over that country, which would be a thousand times more dangerous situation than when they controlled Afghanistan.

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

We have to secure those nukes, full stop.

But I'm sure our government is aware of this. We may already have SF teams in country for this purpose.

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Standout analysis of the situation in Pakistan.

http://www.newsweek.com/id/195786

4. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

I've suspected that ever since we went into Afghanistan after 9/11, if not before.

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

And the problem with that, of course, is that Pakistan doesn't want to tell the U.S. government where they are.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/04/world/asia/04nuke.html?_r=1&hp

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

My hunch is we can secretly account for every millirad and microcurie in that country — and elsewhere. We have stuff in space and on the ground that can pinpoint anything not encased in 20 feet of lead. That is, unsecured. If the bad guys get hold of a nuke, we'll know it practically before they can get it off the truck.

7. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I hope. My belief in stuff our government can do behind the scenes to set stuff right has taken a lot of body blows in the last 8 years.

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

With Manny, Moe and Jack aka Bush, Cheney and Rumsfled in charge at that point in time, I doubt they did anything useful or required rational thought and foresight.

Draft saved Draft deleted