1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pakistan nearing collapse, Taliban takeover?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Apr 24, 2009.

1. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

The Daily Beast had a pretty good worst-case scenario story. If the Taliban gets control of nukes, possible targets include India, Afghanstan, Shiite Iran, and Saudi Arabia's oil fields. If that happens, Pakistan could get decimated by a nuclear response.

2. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

This is a worst-case scenario for a lot of countries.

There is going to be some surprising co-operation between several countries that dont like each other to make sure the worst doesn't happen.

3. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Richard Engle, Chief Foreign Affairs Correspondent for NBC was on Rachel Maddow last night talking about this. The Taliban don't really have intentions of taking over Islamabad per se, but they do want to control all the regions surrounding the capitol, making their laws in essence the law of the land.

And I think China has already been cracking down hard on some muslim areas in the western part of the country.

4. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Just what does North Korea have to lose?

5. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

It's more that the Taliban have nothing to lose if they get control of the nukes. I certainly agree with Pallister and others on this. Nightmare scenario.

6. There is no indcation that the Taliban is suicidal as a governing entity. They even reached out to us after taking over Afghanistan. Nuclear nonproliferation does now look like a good idea in retrospect.

7. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Maybe it's a fear factor that's driving the worry, but I just wouldn't trust the Taliban with nukes, no matter what they've done.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Actually, the silver lining is that you'll be easier to see in the dark.

9. I don't want that, either.
    The question is what are we going to do when it happens because, even if they don't take over the country, they've got some big cards to play within Pakistani intelligence. They might get control of the arsenal without getting control of what's left of the government.

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

We need to put in a call to Lufkin, Tex., and get Charlie Wilson out of retirement. He can work with the CIA and ISI to unbuild the monster they created.

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure India is well aware of that fact. It would be nice to have an active Ally that can put 100,000,000 men in the field

12. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Just got an e-mail from someone I correspond with in Islamabad. I think the message speaks for itself.

Draft saved Draft deleted