1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Paige's final finale

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SF_Express, Jun 18, 2007.

1. BobSinclair

BobSinclair New Member

I've always liked Woody. He can be a little whacky, but he has the ability to tighten the screws when it's time.

He's a much better writer than a TV personality though.

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Nicely done, Woody.

3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I found the column via the Romenesko link so I also thought it was Woody's goodbye column. After reading it, I was sure it was Woody's goodbye column...very confusing, indeed.

4. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

Woody's columns have been confusing and unreadable since about 2002 or 2003.

Seriously, it's sad. He was one of the country's great columnists for a long while. Now, it's like watching Willie Mays struggle to catch fly balls in his final years (OK, I never actually saw that, but people say it a lot, so I guess it's true)

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The best part about Woody is that it's great when you have a columnist who is so closely tied to a certain city. That's rare these days...

Thomas George was fucking dreadful during his stint in Denver. I'm still not sure how that happened...

Reading it again, I think it was an incredibly classy move by Paige. I don't think the column is confusing, I think it's Romenesko who fucked it up...

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Blog item about Paige's column and Post buyouts/layoffs.

http://blogs.westword.com/latestword/2007/06/making_the_post_list.php#more

7. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

That seemed pretty self-serving to me, to be honest.

My "last column" at my shop was about a real issue and made no mention of my planned departure. That turned out to be a good thing because I ended up returning...

8. chazp

chazp Active Member

I emailed Woody and he wrote back today that he wasn't going anywhere.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Does anyone know what people got as a buyout? According to Paige's column some of those people had been there for a couple decades.

10. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Specifically, that sports editor who died in like 1920-something, but upon further review, I understand this column a little better.

11. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

So, much like Vince McMahon these days, he's not really gone?

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Reach-arounds and a post-coital cigarette.

Draft saved Draft deleted