1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Paging West Wing fans

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JayFarrar, Jun 1, 2009.

1. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

One of the best shows ever.

I miss it terribly.

"Leo will know what to do."

Oh so many great lines. . . just go to Youtube and search West Wing.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

If you can manage to slam the TV off within one second of the end of the show, to prevent your senses from being assaulted by that fucking reprehensible nauseating horse-woman hosting that shit-shower "Millionaire Matchmaker" afterward, or any of the other extravaganzas for estrogen-deranged mental deficients which fill BRAVO from morning till night.

I like watching the "WW" reruns, but I slam it off the second the closing credits start to roll, to avoid being subjected to that spewing shitrain of television.

3. If you replace "Millionnaire Matchmaker" with "The Real Housewives Of (Name A Town)", I agree with Starman on the Bravo lineup.
    And I go to this meeting.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I always liked the one where the elderly senator is fillerbusting a spending bill to insert funding for autism research. Everyone at the WW is wondering why, until they see a newscast with the senator and his grandchildren, one of whom has autism.

Then Josh (I think) says, "He's never going to leave that floor. We have to do something." They figure out that a fillibuster can be stopped only if another senator asks a question.

So the first senator comes to the floor, and says that he has a question, and will be taking a long time, so why doesn't the elderly senator have a seat and get a drink of water. The show ends with a line of senators waiting to ask a question while the autism research funding gets inserted.

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

One of my favorite scenes is when Bartlet lays the smack down on a Dr. Laura-esque radio host by reciting chapter and verse all the ridiculous Old Testament passages aside from Leviticus 18:22:

Also, the "guy falls down a hole" story that Leo tells Josh:

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Joy cometh in the morning, sir.

'Joy cometh in the morning,' scripture tells us. I hope so. I don't know if life would be worth living if it didn't. And I don't yet know who set off the bomb at Kennison State. I don't know if it's one person or ten, and I don't know what they want. All I know for sure, all I know for certain, is that they weren't born wanting to do this. There's evil in the world, there'll always be, and we can't do anything about that. But there's violence in our schools, too much mayhem in our culture, and we can do something about that. There's not enough character, discipline, and depth in our classrooms; there aren't enough teachers in our classrooms. There isn't nearly enough, not nearly enough, not nearly enough money in our classrooms, and we can do something about that. We're not doing nearly enough, not nearly enough to teach our children well, and we can do better, and we must do better, and we will do better, and we will start this moment today! They weren't born wanting to do this.

When did you write that?

In the car. On the way over.

Freak.

7. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

I have a secret plan to fight inflation?

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

It was Donna that figured it out.
    And Josiah who broke it down:

C.J., let me tell you something, don't ever ever underestimate the will of a grandfather. We're madmen, we don't give a damn, we got here before you and they'll be here after. We'll make enemies, we'll break laws, we'll break bones, but you will not mess with the grandchildren.

And, later, C.J.:

Yes, Hoynes had us nervous with his admonishment of big oil and, yes, the president was making us nervous too. But that's for tomorrow. Tonight, I've seen a man with no legs stay standing, Dad, and a guy with no voice keep shouting. And if politics brings out the worst in people, maybe people bring out the best. Because I'm looking at the TV right now, and damn if 28 U.S. senators haven't just walked onto the floor to help.

9. PopeDirkBenedict

My favorite holiday scene:

"If I cook it inside the turkey, is there a chance I could kill my guests? I'm not saying that's necessarily a deal breaker."

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

It was suggested in the press room that you do.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

That speech Bartlett gave with the "streets of Heaven are too crowded" line was one of the best the show ever gave us.

12. PopeDirkBenedict

By who?

Draft saved Draft deleted