1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Paging West Wing fans

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JayFarrar, Jun 1, 2009.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

The Onion's AV Club has had a long-running TV Club where they analyze new shows and talk about them like fans.
    They recently added old shows, and now is the West Wing.
    http://www.avclub.com/articles/pilot,28638/?utm_source=sidebar_tvclub

The reviewer has only seen just a handful of episodes and is going into the project with only the barest of details about the show.
    Then you have this...
    I myself can't wait until he gets to Margaret — was she actually pregnant? Was she gay? Was she the repository for all human knowledge?
    The story arc built around Mrs. Landingham should be absolutely fascinating as he reviews it.

2. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Was in Best Buy today and they had West Wing DVD sets on sale for $19.99.

3. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Thanks, Hank! I've been needing to replace my worn-out (yes, worn out) copy of Season One.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Hard to believe The West Wing came from the same network that now gives us Howie Do It and The Biggest Loser.

One scene I would have loved to have seen would have been Bartlett going to SuperMax in Colorado for a face to face with a terrorist, trying to understand why "they" hate us so much, realizing he would never understand terrorism, he lets the suspect know the U.S. was going to be launching a strike on his home village.
    One of the few shows that could leave you with a punch in the gut at the end of an episode consistently. I remember the ep when a bunch of Navy ships are in the path of a hurricane and Bartlett is on the radio with some scrub on a cruiser; the "who's hit, who's hit?" season finale...

5. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

TWW always did holidays very well, too. The first season, it was Mrs. Landingham and "I miss my boys"/Toby helping bury the vagrant veteran; second Christmas was Josh's trauma episode; the Thanksgiving eps, like when Josh, Toby and Sam told the farm guy to put the turkey in CJ's office... ah...

Man, that was a helluva show.

6. shockey

shockey Active Member

stop. you'll make me weepy. :'( :'( :'(

first three seasons: best one-hour network drama ever. 8) 8) 8)

7. billikens

billikens Member

About once every year or two, I get bored with whatever is on tv and start the dvds from the beginning, ending with the Sam Seaborn exit. Not my politics, but what an incredible show.

8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I liked how they took an obscure episode from someone's past and brought it to the future, like when Toby's dad was visiting him in the White House at Christmas and the Wippenpoofs or whatever their name was were singing some Cole Porter song; the same tune that was playing on the car radio when Toby's dad was waiting outside the scene of a hit when he with Murder Inc. right after Toby was born.

Or when Bartlett decided to run for re-election and in the closing scene just before he announces he did the same stuff that Mrs. Landingham noticed he' did when he'd made up his mind to do something during the prep school flashbacks.

9. lisa_simpson

lisa_simpson Active Member

Parts one and two of In the Shadow of Two Gunmen may be two of the best hours of television I've ever seen.

My favorite holiday sequence is in one of the Thanksgiving episodes (I looked it up: it's Shibboleth, from season two) when Bartlet sends Charlie running hither and yon to find the appropriate carving knife for the Thanksgiving turkey, and it's revealed at the end why the President needs a new one: because he's giving Charlie the family carving knife, fired by one Paul Revere.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Yep, the little moments were what made that show - learning that they bring in two turkeys for T-day, that Congress has to give a formal invite to the Prez for the State of the Union, seeing Josh handle a press briefing. That stuff was gold.

11. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

The Chinese Christian refugee, who earns asylum for his group by correctly defining Shibboleth, is one of the great character actors of all time.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I've been Tivoing reruns on Bravo in the morning. Such a great show.

Draft saved Draft deleted