1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Paging The Price is Right, TPIR to the white courtesy phone please...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by spup1122, Jun 19, 2007.

1. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Even the really old shows, from the 70s and 80s, are really entertaining, especially if you try remembering what the prices were back then.

And the audience from then is definitely a lot different than the ones from recent years. There never used to be college kids in the audience...mainly older people and housewives.

2. markvid

markvid Guest

I wonder if it's a matter of that CBS doesn't have the rights to air them.

3. shotglass

shotglass Guest

This strikes me as just fine.

Let Rosie do it for 30 years ... let them grab a nice little 0.3% niche ... and keep her busy and out of our way the whole time.

We don't have to watch it.

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Yeah, I gotta say, if she wants to do it, they probably won't get a bigger name.

Let her do it...

5. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

If those models thought Barker was always hittin' on them, wait till they get a load of Rosie.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Outstanding...

7. boots

boots New Member

I want Rosanne Barr and Rosie O'Donnell to co-host TPIR!

8. Hustle

Hustle Guest

[​IMG]
    "Mr. Santorum. Mr. Santorum, aye." [/cspan2]

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Hell yes, just run the reruns from now 'til the end of time. It would be like Classic Peanuts in the comics. Totally dependable.

Aye.

10. Gold

Gold Active Member

I think Rosie would be a good, if somewhat risky, choice to host The Price Is Right.

It's easy to talk about her image and recent abrasiveness. But she had her own talk show which was successful, and she increased the ratings on The View. This is a daytime audience and is probably very much female. People watch Rosie during the day. She also has a lot of feeling for the show.

How do you overcome some of the recent negative feeling toward her? Well, you set up a whole bunch of interviews where she says something like, "hey, I have a lot of opinions about a lot of things, but I really enjoyed the daytime show and what I want to do is entertain people. I've expressed my opinions and while I have opinions, that isn't going to change the world. I have loved the show since I was a kid and I think I can keep it going." Vanessa Williams overcame the whole pictures in Penthouse thing and went on to have a successful career as a singer and actress.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

But unlike The View, which is mostly women, TPIR has an appeal to both genders, all ages. And she sure doesn't have mass appeal to all demographics.

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I can't say for sure, but I suspect in addition to regular commercial advertising, the show receives money for the product placements.

If they show an episode from 1972 with Space Food Sticks in the Grocery Game . . . no revenue from the product placement.

But give me 70s and 80s episodes (and Holly), and I might watch the show for the first time in more than a decade.

I'm not so sure about that. Haven't seen the show in ages, but I seem to recall the great majority of advertising geared toward housewives.

Draft saved Draft deleted