1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Paging poindexter, hondo, et al

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by spnited, Nov 21, 2006.

1. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Very well put Alma. I'll readily admit I judge others, but I try, as odd as it sounds, to limit that judgement to those who unjustly judge others.

Ow! My head hurts...

2. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Muslims don't pray to idols but everything is well put.

3. Chuck~Taylor

But was it ok for those guys to be detained for praying before that flight?

4. Chuck~Taylor

What I have a problem with is that you're basically dehumanizing those guys. You automatically think that if someone is scared, then those guys should stop praying because if they stop, then it won't hurt them. Do you know how embrassing it was for those guys to be stopped by all those security guards? Muslims aren't computers. We actually have feelings.

5. Chuck~Taylor

Oh, don't get me wrong. Were opposed to all of that. I've said that many times over here. But don't come here and make it seem like it was 100% ok for some one to make those guys the center of attention and make them "look" like terrorists infront of everyone. This is about which person is more important. Would you rather have make the Christian or the Muslim more comfortable. In this case, looks like the they picked the Christian.

6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Alexander, you're new, so I'm gonna warn you instead of what I'd normally do when such ridiculous nonsense is spewed. Do NOT align yourself with Hondo, et. al. Their hatred and unreasonable fear of the Muslim community has been played out again and again.

And there is no reason that the average Muslim on the street should need to apologize for the actions of a few nutjobs. We don't expect that of ourselves when nutjob Christians blow up an abortion clinic.

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

The tenor of hondo's posts suggest something other than the brand of sincerity you're describing. They're a lot more about placing the blame on the imams for being culturally unaware while comparing freedom notes with Saudi Arabia.

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I do. I'm completely anti-abortion, yet I feel compelled to tell people that the men who bombed those clinics are the ones who said "Lord, Lord" without Christ ever knowing them.

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Please don't confuse some random person on an airplane with "Christian." A Christian wouldn't fear an exploding plane nor the sun turning black, much less some old (and in one case blind) praying imam.

10. Chuck~Taylor

You're right.I accidentaly used Christian because of all the Christian talk over here. But you get what I mean , the non-muslims on that airplane. They picked. And they made their decision.

11. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I'd appreciate it, Alexander, if you didn't try to read my mind or pretend you know anything about how I'd react. But in case you're curious, I did fly on a flight from Los Angeles to Sydney Australia not all that long after 9/11, and I sat directly in front of three lanky Muslims with full turbans, beards, robes, ect. They prayed before take off. I thought to myself, you know what would be bullshit here? To act like all Muslims are terrorists. To pretend that the hatred of so few could make me want to condemn and be afraid of so many. I acted like a human being. And the three guys didn't leap out of their seats with box cutters and bombs strapped to their chest somewhere over Hawaii. They asked for fish instead of pork when the inflight meal was served. I read a book and watched The Incredibles. When we finally landed, one of them smiled at me and I smiled back. Maybe he appreciated the fact that I didn't lump him in with mass murders based on playing the percentages. But I guess you're right. I was just clueless and in denial the entire time.

12. So "the majority of the American people" are "brave enough" to act like frightened schoolchildren?
    Explains a lot.

Draft saved Draft deleted