1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Paging poindexter, hondo, et al

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by spnited, Nov 21, 2006.

1. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Hey JR,
    You're intelligent. How about responding that way instead of lobbing an insult.

2. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Did you question that right? No. Did you suggest that they shouldn't? Yes. Either way, it's a bad thing when a person can't freely practice their religion like that. And doing what you suggested earlier ... screaming racial remarks in a neighborhood ... has nothing to do with religion, so don't even mention it.

Taking the stance that you've taken, and that Hondo has taken, is part of the problem.

3. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Both acts could draw a sharp and unpleasant response. That was the point.

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

First of all, I'm a Christian. As one, I can confidently say that we, as a community, are never going to use a draconian nation like Saudi Arabia as our standard of behavior. So I haven't the first clue what that country has to do with anything in this discussion.

The only appropriate response is to feel remorse, apologize and ask for forgiveness.

Hopefully the imams forgive the passengers, and do so publicly.

5. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

In an interesting twist to this story, turns out it was Michael Richards who handed the note to the flight attendant.

6. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

You and I don't agree on much, tony, but that was funny.

7. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Thanks. I was surprised after reading the three pages that someone else hadn't posted it.

8. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Kids, kids, kids!

We ask you kindly not to feed the trolls, and what happens?

You hold a cookout for the trolls.

With a complimentary buffet.

And an open bar.

Then you serve dessert.

And provide mints.

Hondo and poindexter aren't going to change their opinion on Muslims. Trounced isn't going to wake up one day and decide Muhammad Ali is his favorite boxer. Deep Background isn't going to stop getting an erection every time he finds a link with a beheading. Lyman isn't going to learn the difference between Sunni and Shiite. Old_tony isn't going to admit that Osama bin Laden doesn't actually attend DCCC meetings. Yawn won't stop fantasizing about dropping nuclear bombs on everyone from Syria to Turkey. It would make them all far, far more angry if all their posts were simply ignored. Don't dangle the bait over the edge of the bridge, then get angry when the troll bites off three of your fingers. The troll doesn't know any better. You can put him in a suit, tell him which fork to use at dinner, and teach him to play the show tunes on the piano, but he's still, deep down, an angry troll afraid of the brown people. These guys are lost causes. Walk away. Visit the journalism board sometime. It's nice there.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

For the record, I didn't dangle the trolls. I noodled the trolls.

10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Because right now, in these times, people with rosaries, crosses and the Torah aren't killing other people in the name of religion.

And please, for the love of all that's Holy, quit bringing up abortion doctors murders. According to the SportsJournalists.com math:
    About a half-dozen abortion doctors killed=tens of thousands killed by the very small minority of people belonging to a certain religion.

Every time one of you makes this comparison, you sound foolish.

Also, I would wager some of the same people screaming at me over this incident are the same ones in total agreement with the separation of church and state and no religions demonstrations in public. Sounds like you'd be against six people praying to anything in the middle of a public place such as an airport. If six teen-agers with T-shirts that said: "We Love Jesus" had done it, you'd be screaming.

But we already know the rules are different for Christians.

11. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

A. I'm not racist.
    B. I challenged you to view my posts on this matter, and you made a weak-cheese response that showed me you're deathly afraid of being proven wrong...which you are.
    C. The only people I fear or mistrust are people who would like nothing better than to kill me. And if native Americans, Guatamalans, Canadiens or Swedes decided tomorrow that they wanted to cause harm to people different from them, I wouldn't be nuts about them either.

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

We're "lost causes" because we don't fall into lockstep with you?
    Dictatorships are started in such ways.

Draft saved Draft deleted