1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Paging poindexter, hondo, et al

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by spnited, Nov 21, 2006.

1. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Pretty much, yeah. Don't bring your religion into the public square. Don't pray on street corners.

2. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Then let's pass a law against it. Oh wait, there's something called the Constitution.

3. Point of Order

Who said anything about passing a law? I think you are confusing your head-up-your-ass interpretation of what you think I implied with what I have actually said here, which is that what they were doing is non-advisable behavior in the context of reality of the world we live in.

4. "Non-advisable behavior in the context of the reality of the world we live in."
    Prayer.
    Wow.

5. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Non-advisable? OK. Worthy of being detained? No.

6. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Me with a head up my ass? You're kidding, right? Apparently not. So it's non-advisable for people to pray in public? Talk about head up your ass.

With every single word you type, your credibility is more and more shot. You should change your name to Point of Idiocy.

7. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

I remember there was a similar story last year in which 5 men were detained for praying at a NY Giants game. Here's the link:
    http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2005-11-01-muslim-profiling_x.htm

8. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

Point, you treaded into some rough water, here, created by the chum left over from hondo's absolute ridiculousness. Sucks.

Anyway, is anyone else taking a step back and looking at this? I mean, this report reads like a scene out of The Siege. We are curtailing personal liberties, we are paranoid, and we are reactive. I don't care who you are, or what your leanings are, how does this not read as a very damning sign of how far we've fallen as a country and culture?

Re: the earlier idiocy, I'm sure none of the Christians who bombed abortion clinics said prayers right beforehand or anything. And that's not to suggest that all Christians are like militant muslims, despite the fact that the contrary argument is being made (that all Muslims are whack-jobs like the fundamentalist Christians who bomb things). The neo-cons won't like this, but a situation like this takes intelligence and reason. And yes, I realize that the terrorists don't believe in reason. But there's a reason we're the superpower, and there's a reason we have some reason to consider ourselves among the finest nations in the world. The reason has nothing to do with how we asserted our might over the years, or how we were able to wave our flags and sing at baseball games after 9/11. It's because we have been populated with great minds of considerable capacity for compassion and reason. Those people have found a way to allow for many different cultures and religions to find a place to exist here. That's the kind of people who need to be leading right now. The kind of people who could come up with some sort of airport plan to allow for Muslim prayer (which, by the way, CANNOT JUST BE DONE SUBTLELY, but must involve some very conspicuous rituals) without the people on the plane becoming terrified.

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

Will somebody please explain to me "the reality of the world we live in."
    I seem to be missing something.

10. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

You would not understand, being part of the so-called "reality-based community." Those in power can dictate reality to others, it appears.

11. Point of Order

Exactly. Thank you. Hondo, I am not.

12. Point of Order

Wow why? Do you really think a good number of people would not freak out at this?

Draft saved Draft deleted