1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Paging Lynn Hoppes ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Riptide, Jul 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drip

Drip Active Member

Damn. First post is a homerun.

2. young-gun11

young-gun11 Member

Which he did. A lot of people will be going to him asking how this happened.

3. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Drip, I'm not venting. All I know is that if I was working for a news organization and did what he did I would fully expect to be immediately dismissed when found guilty. Call me naive, but I would expect that to happen to anyone else caught breaking the rules.

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

I hear ya.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I would have expected that after the office video and after the Sarah Phillips fiasco as well.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Agreed.

And I don't have a beef with Hoppes - aside from his alleged plagiarism from Wikipedia. My main gripe is that ESPN seems to disregard journalistic ethics whenever it wants.

7. Mizzougrad96

I like the guy. He gave career breaks to a couple close friends of mine. But for every guy in Orlando who loved Hoppes, there was someone who hated him, usually for a pretty valid reason.

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

The ratio on that is much closer to 1:5 than it is 1:1.

9. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I don't care how many people do/don't like him. ESPN can't as an employer let someone skate when there is so much documentation because it would never be able to dismiss anyone for job performance ever again.

Some places ban use of Wikipedia as even a reference source, let alone allowing you to cut and paste from it.

I wonder if Deadspin dug this up at random or if someone inside ESPN tipped them off. I have caught a few plagiarists with some freelance editing I do, but I am not clairvoyant -- something has to trigger an instinct for me to check.

10. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

This was my first thought. ESPN will never give Deadspin the satisfaction of uncovering something that leads to actual change. Sort of like an AD or GM who is steadfastly determined to keep a coach just to spite the local media outlets that call for that coach's head.

11. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Lino, then somebody needs to drop a dime on Romensko.

12. Mizzougrad96

At ESPN, that's true. That definitely was not the case in Orlando.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.