1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Paging Frank Ridgeway: Shirt and tie without a jacket?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

But does 'urban setting' mean city?

2. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I see this picture and I think "he took his jacket off" not "he didn't wear a jacket." To me, there is a difference, but I don't know if that makes sense to anyone else.

3. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

As long as you're not mixing black and brown I think you all are over thinking. Who says you can't wear a tie without a coat? Who says you can't wear a coat without a tie? If you wear it with confidence, and an "I don't give a shit what you think" attitude, you can pull them both off.

You could always resort to the mustard-stained polo

4. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

A tie will perk up any mustard-stained polo.

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Is a tie with a polo shirt appropriate in an urban setting?

6. 3OctaveFart

3OctaveFart Guest

Yes, confidence is the final accessory. Maybe the most vital.
    I think we have all known a few unattractive men who were very good dressers, and made that work in their favor.

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Polo and a necktie in an urban setting?

BANG!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhWhHWHnSWc

8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Ragu had it right: wear a tie without a coat and you risk looking like the mailroom guy or a kid barely living up to a high school dress code. If something rises to the importance of wearing a tie, the need for a coat has already been indicated.

If you go down this route and also wear cheap, rubber-soled shoes, you lose additional points

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Fashion trends come an go. That's understood.
    But even among long-held men's dressing rules, there is disagreement.
    Some people insist on brown shoes with a gray suit. I think it depends.
    Some people still won't wear a tie with a button-down shirt. I do. In fact, I'll wear a button-down shirt with a suit, depending on the occassion. That is a real no-no in classic men's wear.

10. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I wear suit/no tie or blazer/slacks/no tie to work nearly every day. I'd never wear a shirt/tie/no jacket.

I also frequently go blazer/jeans/nice shoes out to dinner or to a party. Mrs. W made me buy a couple of pair of Lucky Jeans a few years ago.

Been buying mostly french cuff shirts recently and the cuff links help spruce up the blazer/jeans combo.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

See, I won't wear French cuffs.
    I will wear a sports jacket with no tie, but I won't wear a suit with no tie.

12. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

And what's wrong with button-down shirts?
    I guess I can't even leave the house anymore.

Draft saved Draft deleted