1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Paging Frank Ridgeway: Shirt and tie without a jacket?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Sep 12, 2012.

1. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I think it looks like Billy Joel.

Does that make me middle-aged?

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Depends on the work environment. At my college, a lot of people don't even dress business casual. I wear a tie without a jacket quite often when it's warm.
    I almost always wear casual pants, jeans or other. However, I do not wear dark jeans. I wear blue Levi's, no other colors. No boot cut, not straight leg, no skinny - just standard tapered leg.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

In another words, this works:

[​IMG]

The problem is. ... see the earlier Daniel Craig post.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Back in the 70's when I started out in the book biz, I had a friend who worked for a city developer. This was the time when you wore a suit and tie to work every day. No sports jackets. This is not the country club.

His boss game him shit one day when he went to the washroom without his suit jacket on.

I'm old school, I guess. If you're wearing a shirt and tie, a jacket should be attached.

And I'm with Ragu. A sport jacket, pair of jeans and a nice pair of oxfords or loafers is fine.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I think Nick Wooster would disagree. White jeans have been huge this summer. So have colored ones in shades of red (GTH jeans, I guess).

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I think men look ridiculous in jeans that are any color than blue - black, gray, whatever.
    I also link men look ridiculous in skinny jeans, dirty jeans or any other weird style.
    Classic-fit blue jeans - fine I wear them almost constantly. If I'm wearing some other color, I choose another style of casual pants - khakis, chinos, cords, whatever.
    I wear a jacket and tie with them. I wear a jacket with no tie. I wear a tie with no jacket. The last when it's too warm out.
    I wear them with casual shoes, dress shoes and sneakers.

8. 3OctaveFart

3OctaveFart Guest

Depends on the shoes.
    I know that sounds simplistic - but women (and some guys) take note of a man's shoes.
    The shoes tie the whole look together.
    You could have a great ensemble and a shittily chosen pair of shoes will ruin your best laid plans.
    Inky, I live in an urban setting and have not seen one dude wearing white jeans this summer.
    I don't doubt it's the case, just can't recall an instance.

9. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

I've often thought that fashion is simply whatever good-looking people decided to wear that year.

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Is an urban setting the same as a city?

11. 3OctaveFart

3OctaveFart Guest

Even the crappiest little town formally calls itself a city.

12. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Tie without jacket says Schoolboy at Wedding to me, too.

Draft saved Draft deleted