1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Paging Frank Ridgeway: Shirt and tie without a jacket?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Sep 12, 2012.

1. 3OctaveFart

3OctaveFart Guest

Dress shoes with jeans is never a cool look.
    It's the kind of thing that makes dudes look like tools.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Really? I kind of like it. Dark jeans only. ("You're better than The Gap.") But no T-shirt under a jacket. Unless you work for Google.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Blue blazer and the Levi's Dockers say, "Dress up day at the frat house." If you are going to do it, though, don't forget to add the blue GAP oxford with the button collar.

4. 3OctaveFart

3OctaveFart Guest

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. 3OctaveFart

3OctaveFart Guest

Or the English soccer scarf dashingly wrapped about the neck.
    Perhaps not tightly enough.

6. The Big Ragu

I'll take the tool look any day, then. A black or gray sport coat, a neutral colored (you can even go with a muted pastel if that is your thing) shirt and a dark pair of jeans. Toss a pair of black lace-up Oxfords underneath and you are not quite dressed up, but you don't look dressed down. I do the lace-up Oxfords with dark jeans a lot. If people think I am a tool, at least they have been nice enough not to tell me and make me feel bad.

7. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Tie without jacket makes me think you left it on the back of the chair and we have to go look for it before we leave.

Looks unfinished, like you didn't know what to wear.

8. The Big Ragu

Does it change your mind, if you see the sweaty arm pit stains from tearing up the wedding dance floor?

9. 3OctaveFart

3OctaveFart Guest

[​IMG]
    "Is there another kind?"

Can't imagine a stylishly ambitious man wearing light jeans - i.e., anything but dark jeans - in the year 2012.

What brand of jeans are we talking about, BR?

10. The Big Ragu

Levis. Always Levis. 505. Zipper, no button fly. And sitting at my waist, not down around my ass cheeks. Straight leg. Not baggy.

Getting impossible to find them. They make 10,000 different types of Levis and none of them button around your waist anymore. So whenever I run across 505s at a decent price I load up.

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

12. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

I think if you have that thin, I'm really cool not geeky, I'm so ironic look you can do the shirt and skinny tie:

http://www.ballnroll.com/fashionstyle?post=95

I like the coat, jeans, nice shoes look.

Draft saved Draft deleted