1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Paging creamora... Patrick Arnold says Victor Conte is full of it

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by The Big Ragu, Jul 25, 2007.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7058264

Is the chemist who put BALCO in business, in cahoots with the investigator and the prosecutor and the reporters and the girlfriend with the evidence (and anyone else I am missing who has been smeared by you on threads on here) in a conspiracy to frame Barry Bonds?

Well, at least Conte released a statement calling him a liar... Just like EVERYONE ELSE is a liar.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. Chef

Chef Active Member

"Steroids are something you shoot in your butt"--Sheffield.

Are you that freakin' stupid?

4. Objection: hearsay.

5. The Big Ragu

Objection sustained.

Good thing this isn't a court room...

Just a place where people can look at all of the people lined up, and all of the evidence that keeps coming out, and make reasonable conclusions about who is telling the truth and who is lying.

6. Let brother Arnold put his hand on the Bible and say the same thing, and I'll be convinced.
    Boy, this Costas values-fest looks to be great television. Bob's never better than when he's the Outraged Voice Of Lost Innocence.

7. 21

21 Well-Known Member

So the guy who created an illegal anabolic steroid suddenly wants on the bandwagon. Apparently he has just learned of the investigation, and needs to speak out?

If you rolled this into a novel, it would be too stupid to publish.

8. 21 --
    He turned me into a newt!
    (I got better.)

9. The Big Ragu

Why should he? He did something illegal. He got nailed. He did his time. Unlike Victor Conte, he hasn't been a guy seeking attention and saying ANYTHING (and saying things that make people suspect he is lying). This is just a guess, but what if he saw that idiocy by Gary Sheffield on Real Sports the prior week, said to himself, "This fuckstick should keep his mouth shut, like I have, rather than saying dumbass things like, 'Steroids are something you shoot in your butt,' " which make him look worse"? And the next week when Real Sports called Arnold looking for comment, he said, "What the hell? With Conte lying his ass off--selectively ratting out some clients and protecting others--and with Sheffield being this much of a buffoon, I am just going to go on the show and be honest."

If he was making this shit up with nefarious motives, most people would also guess he'd put smoking guns in Conte's and Bonds' hands, such as, "Oh yeah. I saw old Vic hand some steroids to Barry, and Barry pulled down his pants in front of me, handed me a syringe and asked me if I would be a pal and stick it in his ass for him."

Instead, all Arnold said was that he heard Conte "raving" about "the program," which included the drugs that Arnold created and gave to him (this is not hearsay, by the way). He said that Conte boasted about Barry being on "the program" and benefiting from it. Given what Victor Conte has shown the public, with the constant seeking of media attention and the never-ending salesmanship, doesn't the thought of him "raving" about his "program" seem more than plausible?

Arnold comes across like a guy telling the truth, because he said he didn't personally see Bonds taking the stuff. he was clear about that. But he knew about it and was an integral part of it. And his message was, "Use your fucking brains. Flaxseed oil and 'I didn't know' defenses? Let's be real!"

Maybe my bullshit detectors are way off on this one, but I have tended to have decent bullshit detectors, and in this case they are telling me that is a guy who is telling the truth...

10. So, because he's a convicted felon, that's a reason why I SHOULD believe him?
    Boy, please prosecute my case when it comes up, dude.
    Let him say it UNDER OATH and then I'll believe him. Until then, I'll reserve judgment. Right now, this seems like more pressure on Anderson and my guess is that the Feds are getting a little desperate.

11. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Bonds said under oath he was rubbing flaxseed oil on his legs. Do you believe him?

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Nice pull...

Draft saved Draft deleted