1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pages in Sections

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TarHeelMan, May 5, 2014.

1. Decadent

Decadent New Member

There are far more examples than those local hacks. They were simply the most low-hanging of the fruit, much like your posts today and apparently last fall.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I'd ask you to cite a few, but you'll probably just speak in vague riddles and allude to conspiracy theories.
    I've been here a long time. I've never put anyone on Ignore. We might make history together soon, you and I.

3. Decadent

Decadent New Member

I'd be more than happy to do so. Not going to happen on NFL draft night, though.

4. Decadent

Decadent New Member

I did come across this link:

http://www.pbs.org/mediashift/2014/02/what-really-matters-in-sochi/

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

This is what you get into with a small staff when you mandate a column on a given day. One place I worked did that. We HAD to have a column every day and each person had their assigned day(s). Two problems....

1) It quickly became evident that the time and space used for puff columns were taking away from legitimate stories, especially features, that would have been a better idea.

2) Some days the columnist obviously had nothing to say. So he's ramble for 20 inches about how awful some pro team's uniforms were or some mindless crap he saw on TV that had absolutely nothing to do with the readership.

Much, much better, IMO, to have some flexibility in columns that allows the writer a forum to express opinions when he/she has something to say and the space that day allows for it. I've certainly been critical of people and organizations in columns, but have gotten as much positive feedback as negative. (Including one on our minor league baseball team being last in the league in attendance despite winning the league championship that year.) And, yes, I've laid a few terds along the way.

Draft saved Draft deleted