1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pages in Sections

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TarHeelMan, May 5, 2014.

1. Decadent

Decadent New Member

It is definitely a paper under 50,000, and it is not a Gannett paper.

2. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

This thread is making me think either I am on or someone posting here...is on LSD.

3. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Not you. Somebody else, definitely.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

My belief is that a sports section should report the news... .on and off the field. A certain degree of commentary is fine, space permitting. Things like who should State U hire as the next football coach or what player might get picked first in the NFL draft (although I consider mock drafts a waste of space, because one domino sends the whole pile crashing).

When it crosses into other stuff, such as one's opinion of Donald Sterling or whomever, that really seems like a waste of space. Why should I care anymore about what Jim Litke (or some other columnist) thinks of him than the guy sitting across the room? I'd rather just report the news and let readers form their own opinions.

5. Mauve_Avenger

Mauve_Avenger Member

You are devoting almost a page to non-sports, speech-code crap right now.

6. Decadent

Decadent New Member

Which is far less than the bloviators within the section devote to the same crap.

You guys seem awfully sensitive to this criticism. Sounds like some people here like taking the lazy way out. After all, why work when you can just spout a bunch of unresearched opinions about a topic?

7. Mauve_Avenger

Mauve_Avenger Member

I refuse to defend my defensiveness!!

Just kidding. But seriously, the reason I say this is that I have no idea what you are talking about. A few sports columns is one thing, but I have never seen anything like what I think you are describing. I demand an example!

8. Decadent

Decadent New Member

If I can get you one without a self-outing, I'll make it happen.

9. TarHeelMan

TarHeelMan Member

Well this post took on a different life....

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Those are called "columns." It's kind of a new trend in journalism that started somewhere around the turn of the (19th) century. Some papers run them in lieu of hard news or features, on occasion, to take readers further inside the game and the issues. They give reporters some leeway to voice opinions, as well.
    In some cases, these "columns," or "opinion pieces," as they're sometimes called, can be used by their authors to tell stories that don't quite work as regular news items or features.
    In other cases, the authors have brainlock 15 minutes before one is due and they write about their dog taking a dump.
    And, in still other cases, the authors aren't particularly good and write awful columns based on awful ideas. Some do it more than others.
    My guess is, your local paper falls into the third category.

Oh, and less than 100 posts into your SJ career, you're quickly showing yourself to be an idiot. Why don't you go sit down for a while, champ? There's a seat on the bench over there next to NDJournalist.

11. Decadent

Decadent New Member

This from the person who thought a paddleboard was a surfboard.

Fix yourself, chump.

BTW, you sound just like the dummies who fill those pages with the horsecrap that doesn't belong in Sports. You must be sensitive for a reason.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I'm not sensitive at all, except to people within my industry who think a couple of local hacks are indicative of a nationwide trend.

Draft saved Draft deleted