1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pages in Sections

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TarHeelMan, May 5, 2014.

1. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Mon-Fri we usually have 5-6 pages.
    Page 1 usually has 1 or 2 local stories (prep gamers, local pro team with local coverage or local D-I schools with our beat writers)
    Page 2 is mostly secondary news (AP roundups or local notebooks) along with an archive look, TV guide and a "Coming Tomorrow" info box
    Page 3 has some jumps and expanded coverage from the front (gamer jump with a notebook or the like)
    Page 4 is the baseball page during MLB season
    Page 5 is the agate page in a 5-page section or else a jump page/extra baseball page
    Page 6 is agate if we have a 6th page

Friday's paper is 6-10 pages (depending on the season, more during the fall/winter with prep football/basketball)
    Sunday's paper can be 10-14 pages. We put lots of national features from AP or MCT wires along with a large centerpiece story.

2. Colton

Colton Active Member

All of it.

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

(Speaking generally)

Monday: 4
    Tuesday: 4
    Wednesday: 6 with gusts up to 8 (includes syndicated NASCAR page, which usually sucks)
    Thursday: 4
    Friday: 6 to 8 (includes Outdoors page generated by trusted and excellent contractor)
    Saturday: 4 to 8. depending on the time of year. College football preview gets its own section.
    Sunday: 6 to 10, depending on time of year.

Every damn bit of it is sports.

4. TarHeelMan

TarHeelMan Member

I know it all depends on number of schools covered, etc. A lot of national sports is what mostly gets axed.

5. Decadent

Decadent New Member

I'm skeptical of some of these claims. The sports sections around here devote almost a page a day to non-sports, speech-code crap. Some of it is stuff stretched to the fourth degree of "Now so-and-so said THIS! about what the three previous so-and-so's said about that statement on Twitter 2 months ago!"

6. 29

29 New Member

I'm skeptical of this comment, once I figure out what it means. (and that's after your fourth version - maybe if you were more specific?)

7. Decadent

Decadent New Member

Instead of more local coverage, one paper has two guys who basically watch televised sports and then nitpick on anything that violates their definition of speech.

We then see, every week, at least two editions with a good chunk of a page devoted to telling us which announcers/coaches/idiot players said something dumb. It is then compared to the Something Dumb from 6-9 months ago. Much analysis and ruminating follow.

Not Sports. Shouldn't be in Sports.

8. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

I'd be interested in which paper has 2 guys who basically watch televised sports and then nitpick on anythng that violates their definition of speech.

I'm guessing this whole schtick is related to the Donald Sterling stuff, and you're saying he's a poor persecuted man who is getting the shaft.

9. Decadent

Decadent New Member

I'm guessing you didn't read the earlier post that already answered that straw-man claim.

"Look out! It's a straw-man argument, meant to divert our attention!"

10. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

OK then, which paper has 2 guys who basically watch televised sports and then nitpick on anythng that violates their definition of speech?

11. Decadent

Decadent New Member

I'm not outing myself. But I think it's a safe assumption to say that paper is not the only one doing that type of thing.

12. TarHeelMan

TarHeelMan Member

I bet it isn't a paper 50,000 and under which is what initially was posted. And I bet it isn't a Gannett paper :)

Draft saved Draft deleted