1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Page designer/St. Joseph (Mo.) News-Press

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by pummell, Feb 24, 2008.

1. pummell

pummell New Member

St. Joseph (Mo.) News-Press
    Sports page designer

The News-Press (35,000 daily) is looking for a sports section front designer/copy editor. We’re looking for someone who’s creative, independent and willing to take chances --- and learn from those risks. The job is desk work five days a week. We want someone who has a passion for design and graphic storytelling.

The newspaper was a little behind in this Internet thing (weren’t we all?), but we’re catching up. Check out our site at stjoenews.net. The person we choose will fit in with a staff that is committed to new content that crosses all of the company’s media platforms: print, online, television.

We cover two Division II universities (one that has been to five national championship games in the past 10 years), numerous high schools in St. Joseph and Northwest Missouri, a national boxing scene, the Chiefs and Royals, and more.

If you’re interested, please contact Sports Editor Scott Pummell at (816) 271-8577 or scottp@npgco.com. Mail packages to 825 Edmond St., St. Joseph, MO 64504. Send PDF examples of pages designed by e-mail.

2. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Not a bad city, and certainly close enough to KC if you get bored.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

and they do a pretty decent job, too.

4. beardown

beardown Member

Definitely worth it if you're wanting to get good experience. They've sent copy editors to Dallas, Orlando, Pittsburgh, Hartford, Miami and Colorado Springs in the last 10 or so years. It's busy there but if you're young and need a place to work there are few better places to get a start.

5. awriter

awriter Active Member

The down side is you'd have to work for Pummell. (Just kidding)

6. Go State

Go State Member

Haven't heard many good things about this shop. From what I understand, when Missouri played Kansas at Arrowhead, the paper didn't send ANYONE there to cover the game. I find that interesting seeing as the ad says they cover the Royals and Chiefs -- and because KC is only about an hour away and everyone in the area is either a Missouri or KU fan. And I also understand they've pretty much cut out their Chiefs coverage since the last sports editor left. This is second-hand info, but kind of strange if it's true.

7. MU_was_not_so_hard

While I was in school, they used a freelancer in Columbia for Missouri stuff one year I was there. The next year, I believe, they cut that out, too.
    It's probably not quite an hour from KC, but I'm almost positive St. Joe is still in the Star's circulation area. I would guess a lot of people there are just reading the Star for Chiefs/Royals.

8. pummell

pummell New Member

On the Chiefs and the Royals, we do what we can, but we're not the Kansas City Star. We don't have a reporter to follow them on the road and focus solely on them. With the Chiefs, we aim to cover all of their home games. Two years ago, when they were a playoff team, we covered all eight home games, I believe, double-staffed one or two. Last year, we staffed just five home games --- in late November/December, it wasn't worth the resources and I couldn't talk anyone into going down. If we're full-staffed, we'll cover the Royals frequently this summer when they're home. It'll probably be a significant focus of ours. No road games, though, in either case.

As for MU, it's three hours from St. Joe. We hired a stringer for all home games and one or two road games last year. We also invested quite a bit in features about players who are from our coverage area, notably Martin T. Rucker, a St. Joe kid who always makes for interesting copy.

But basically, when it comes to those types of items, we supplement AP. We don't duplicate the AP; we pay quite a bit for that, and it would be a waste.

Right or wrong, that's been our approach the last couple of years. If you have any questions about how we've done it or how we hope to do it in the future, e-mail me. scottp@npgco.com.

9. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

I know a guy who interned there and he seemed to like it. I also know a few guys who did the MU aka Rucker beat.

10. MU_was_not_so_hard

I'm glad they went back to having a Mizzou person. Sounds like that might have only been a short layoff.

11. Slash

Slash Member

Decent town not far from KC. Good locale. Went to college nearby and several classmtes worked there and said the pay is awful. Dont know what is like now.

PM me for more.

Draft saved Draft deleted