1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Page designer, Medford, Ore.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Aug 15, 2008.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Not sports-specific, but hey ... it's a job. Ottaway paper, which is the division of Dow Jones that Rupert Murdoch couldn't find a buyer for.

I vaguely recall that Medford seemed nice when I drove through it. :D

From ACES ...

The Mail Tribune (30,000-circ, seven-day daily) an award-winning AM newspaper in scenic Southern Oregon, has an immediate opening for a
    page designer to join its seven-person copy desk.

We are looking for an editor with a flair for layout, a commitment to the highest journalism standards and a team player who will participate in the continuous improvement of our newspaper, magazines and Web site. The designer will work on our copy desk, assisting in the design and editing of pages for news and features sections, a weekly entertainment magazine and a rapidly growing Web site. We also publish four glossy magazines and hope to expand that number.

Experience with InDesign/InCopy is a plus (but not required), as is experience with Web publishing software such as Dreamweaver. We are expanding our presence and our audience on the Web daily and are commited to ensuring that the Web and newspaper are fully integrated and that all of our 40 newsroom staff members are prepared to work in both media.

Southern Oregon offers an array of activities for those who enjoy the outdoors, from hiking to skiing to rafting and fishing along the famed Rogue River. The Medford-area also boasts a thriving arts scene, headlined by the award-winning Oregon Shakespeare Festival in nearby Ashland.

The region is home to a state university, has excellent health care systems and is repeatedly mentioned in magazines as being among the
    nation's best places to live.

We pay a competitive salary and offer medical, dental and vision coverage. The Mail Tribune is an equal-opportunity employer and encourages minority candidates to apply.

Send a cover letter, resume and editing/design clips to Robert Galvin, news editor, The Mail Tribune, Medford, OR, 97501 or e-mail the information to rgalvin@mailtribune.com. If possible, send an initial e-mail to rgalvin@mailtribune.com to help us speed up the process.

2. Editude

Editude Active Member

I thought I saw somewhere where the pay was 35-40K. Because of the spillover from the south, this stretch of Oregon is relatively pricey, but it has a four-season climate, big-time prep sports (go Black Tornado!) and interest in UO. Local golf is popular, and it has a stop on the PBA Tour. And adjacent Ashland is one of the gems of the West Coast.

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Wow, that would be high-paying if true.

Medford just had layoffs, but it wasn't very many.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Unfortunately, I was one of the ones who drew the short straw. They laid off 5 in newsroom of around 30. About 25 building-wide.

About a month later, one of the gals on news desk left and, being already down one person on news, they couldn't get the paper out down two people. Not a terrible gig, although the news editor has a strong personality.

Draft saved Draft deleted