1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Page Designer in Hickory, North Carolina

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by koolbreeze, Nov 13, 2007.

1. koolbreeze

koolbreeze Member

This from journalismjobs.com:

The Hickory Daily Record, an award-winning newspaper in design and content, has an immediate opening for a hungry journalist eager to showcase talent in an innovative workplace. Hickory is in the foothills of North Carolina -- an ideal place for people with active lifestyles. Experience in Quark and Photoshop are pluses. Applicants must demonstrate strengths in grammar, spelling, copy editing and page layout. Recent graduates are encouraged to apply. Send a cover letter, resume and work samples to Sports Editor Chris Hobbs, Hickory Daily Record, P.O. Box 968, Hickory, NC 28603, or chobbs@hickoryrecord.com

2. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Certainly a beautiful area. And if I remember correctly, there's a furniture shop on every corner.

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

And maybe you might get to meet Hickory Crawdads manager Gary Green.

4. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Except on the corners where there's a Bojangles.

Understaffed, though. I know a guy who interviewed for a job here some time last year. They only had Hobbs and the designer, who was an ASE. Not sure if they ever filled that spot, because the job was posted four times in a nine-month period.

5. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

Go Huskers! ... Wait, wrong Hickory.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

caddy corner to waffle houses

7. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

It is pretty there. There's not much to do, but it's reasonably close to Charlotte.

8. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

It's less than an hour to the NC ski resorts and the NC mountains, some of the most beautiful country this side of Heaven.

But the Bojangles on every other corner is a definite plus. I'm craving a Bo-berry biscuit right now.

9. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

There's more to do there now than there was 10 years ago. Or at least, there's access to decent stores and stuff. Barnes and Noble has a store there now. And the outdoor activities are plentiful in westnern nc.

10. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

There are worse places to live by far. I know the SE and he's a good guy. But they are understaffed and the pay is low.

11. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Hickory is a cool little town, and only an hour from Charlotte. Good country people, as Flannery O'Connor would say. Except none of them will pretend to be slow, seduce you and then steal your leg. At least in my experience.

Draft saved Draft deleted