1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Page Designer, Greenville, N.C.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by SportsGuyBCK, Jan 26, 2007.

1. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

From the N.C. Press Association site:

Page Designer (posted 1/25/07)
    The Daily Reflector, a 22,000-circulation, Cox-owned newspaper in Greenville, is looking for a page designer with excellent copy editing skills for its sports department. Along with a solid knowledge of all sports, candidates should have a strong command of grammar and AP style. Job duties include designing the sports front and inside pages as well as helping to edit staff copy four or five nights a week. The position also will require some sports reporting duties. Candidates should submit a resume and work samples to sports editor Jim Gentry at jgentry@coxnc.com or PO Box 1967, Greenville, NC 27835-1967.

2. boots

boots New Member

Ok, what's the deal with Greenville? Good place? Bad place?

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

City or paper? Because the answers are different.

4. sgaleadfoot

sgaleadfoot Member

I've been there twice covering various things. You are about 45 minutes from I-95 and roughly 90 minutes to two hours from the RDU triangle. Parker's BBQ is very excellent as far as food's concerned, and there's plenty of chain type eateries in town.

as for the newspaper, ECU is obviously the big focus, and the preps in that area are fairly good as well. Plus, Greenville typically hosts sectional for prep basketball each year.

The paper, from what I've heard, is solid.

5. boots

boots New Member

I know a little about the city. Was trying to get a handle on the job.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I was never terribly impressed with the paper - but I also haven't seen it in several years. It could have improved considerably. Very ECU-centric as you can imagine.
    There was some kind of controversy involving ECU's baseball coach last season. Not sure if the paper did a whole lot on that but I could be wrong.
    If it is as it was a few years ago, someone with some ambition and ideas could end up looking real good.

7. boots

boots New Member

It has been a very long time since I ventured in that neck of the carolinas. Thanks for the info moddy. It's good to see that the pipeline is clear. 8)

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

The Reflector was never any great shakes in the past. As Moddy already said, very ECU-centric. Big surprise ... fair warning: lots of East Carolina people still think they're being snubbed by the ACC schools in the state. Look for lots of purple chips on shoulders.

From what I heard, the Reflector did a pretty decent job with the Keith LeClair saga and his sad bout with ALS. The guy who followed at ECU, Randy Mazey, showed his a_s in a Super Regional against South Carolina three years ago. Apparently, that was a good thumbnail as to the tool he is, helping to explain why Terry Holland ran him out of town.

Greenville is OK, kind of an oasis to an otherwise remote part of the state, not terribly close to any of the beaches, but not far from the river inlets and all that in Beaufort County and points east. The highways have improved and the speed limits have been increased, making the Triangle accessible in roughly 70-80 minutes on the road without tripping off too many trooper scanners. Charlotte is roughly four hours away.

9. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I spent the last two years in Greenville and rarely read the paper. I can say the town isn't much outside of the university and drunk college kids downtown, but there are worse places to be.

10. Keystone

Keystone Member

I've worked with Jim Gentry in the past. Good guy. And he had a hot red-headed girl friend. Wonder what happened to her?

11. boots

boots New Member

She's mine!!!!

12. Orange Hat Bobcat

Orange Hat Bobcat Active Member

Not terribly familiar with the paper but I do know they recently moved in to a new two-story building that, for a 22,000-circulation, is pretty damn nice. The newsroom actually gets a fair amount of sunlight, if that means anything to you.

Also, Cox is a great company. Solid benefits, nice perks, a 401/k plan, etc. Plus, if you really stand out from the crowd, there's always that possibility you move up the company chain -- to Austin, Palm Beach or Atlanta. That's a nice perk, too.

Draft saved Draft deleted