1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Page 2's Todd Boyd tells us what he thinks about the Imus situation

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chuck~Taylor, Apr 16, 2007.

1. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

I can't give you the exact details. I can't paint that picture.

2. Hammer Pants

It's not apples and oranges when black and white people use it, in my opinion. More like red apples and green apples.

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Chuck, thanks for posting that column. Great take.

4. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

It's called signifying, Hammer. Like the gay men who called an organization Queer Nation or my friends and I calling each other bitch or ho, it's a way of taking a work that is offensive and making it belong to the group it demeans.

5. Hammer Pants

Have heard that idea, and it's the closest one to being something I could believe. I still don't, though. Maybe I'm naive. I just don't think they're good words.

6. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

No, not one of his greatest skits. But what you're missing out of is the symbolism. There is symbolism in every one of his skits. You see in this skit, he wanted to know how it would feel to call a white person the n word. Not only does he call them that, but he also puts them down with ever black stereotype and the family just sat there and took it. It was like a "revenge" type of thing.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Chuck your unwillingness to repudiate use of the N word ny anyone including comedians and gansta rappers leaves you little credibility.

8. RokSki

RokSki New Member

I gotta read his piece.

Todd Boyd is a very intelligent guy, but I've never been fond of his 'cutesy' writing style. I remember picking up one of his books and reading the intro and feeling like I had interrupted a World of Warcraft convention or something.

Just my take, but I have to read this latest, in fairness.

9. Boom_70

RoK I will be interested to hear your take. I reread and have to wonder if Dr Boyd has really ever listened to any hard core Gansta Rap. If so, he is really tone deaf in his opinion and comes off as more of an apoligist.

10. As defined by the soul of black consciousness.
    Give it a freaking rest.

11. Boom_70

fenen LBJ and DPM have left the building and are not coming back.

Deal with it.

12. boots

boots New Member

If you are white, you have NO IDEA what it is like to be called a nigger. In the black culture, a black calling another black nigger can mean anything from a term of endearment to an insult. It's all in the way its used. For example, bad meaning bad and bad being about is good as it can possibly get.
    For a white person to call a black person nigger, there is no term of endearment. The word connotates hatred. I don't care if it's in a rap lyric or a skit. I've gone to comedy clubs with African Americans, I've gone to clubs with African Americans. It is out of respect for them and their culture and I know how powerful that word is, that I don't use it. Why is that so hard to comprehend?

Draft saved Draft deleted