1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Page 2 has a sense of humor...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Nathan Scott Phillips, Nov 6, 2006.

1. http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=snibbe/page2/061106

...and apparently reads SportsJournalists.com from time to time.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

That's the best Page 2 column I've read in some time...

3. That's the first time I've been to Page 2 in about 6 months. I forgot they were even still around.

My favorite stuff the past 2 years were the poker guy and the guy who went to the World Cup in Japan. They don't make the "best of" because Jim Caple has to have his ego stroked. Does anyone here even read Jim Caple? He could be a made up person for all I know

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The only stuff I've read there is stuff that was linked to from this site, most of it Whitlock...

I'm sure that will be happening again really soon, but for much different reasons...

5. I just got a reminder of why I stopped going to Page 2.

I was curious about Hunter S Thompson's first column for Page 2 (they are blantantly celebrating it as part of the year 6 anniversary) - however when you click the link you find that you have to be an Insider to read the column. Insider didn't even exist when that column was written.

The traffic at ESPN.com must be going through the floor because everyone I know has stopped going there because of crap stunts like that.

6. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Too bad I didn't make the cut with my line "Hickory Dickory Dock, Page 2 sucks my ass."

I'm just kidding. They got more talent than me.

7. that's pretty clever and shows some real self-confidence. good move by page 2.

8. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

I'm sure their marketing people and business leaders were using the "crack" business plan. That is, you get them hooked for free, and you make them pay when they come back.

The only thing is, it backfires when people aren't hooked or (even worse) people don't want to pay.

9. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Boy, I hate to write this.

I see the graphic, and yeah, they're laughing at themselves, that's great.

Is there more to it, a real column?

Waiting to be ridiculed.

10. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Yeah, haha, hip and funny, that crazy page 2. But just guessing, some of the writers might not appreciate the joke...there are a few columnists over there who actually care about the column.

And ps, they shoulda quoted whitlock.

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

So they needed four DVDs for Ralph Wiley and back copy from Tuesday Morning QB?

12. Page 2 has a sense of humor? That's been evident ever since they signed Scoop Jackson.

Draft saved Draft deleted