1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Paducah sports job

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by In Cold Blood, Apr 26, 2007.

1. In Cold Blood

In Cold Blood Member

Company: The Paducah Sun
    Position: Sports reporter
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Not Specified
    Ad Expires: May 31, 2007
    Job ID: 770891

Description:
    The Paducah (KY) Sun seeks a productive, versatile writer to cover regional high school and college athletics in a sports-rich coverage area encompassing 16 counties across two states. Coverage opportunities include Murray State University’s Division I basketball program, state championship caliber local golf, tennis, football, basketball and track teams; dirt track racing at local facility owned and frequented by Dale Earnhardt Jr., Kenny Schrader and Tony Stewart; and frequent tournament fishing events on the BASS and FLW circuits. Basic photography skills required. Tremendous opportunity for a writer with experience and flair to hone skills and build a resume.

The Paducah Sun is the flagship operation of Paxton Media Group LLC’s 29 daily newspapers, offering significant opportunity for advancement. Benefits include choice of Anthem health plans, 401 (k) with company match, others. Send resumes, qualifications and clips to “Sports Reporter” c/o The Paducah Sun, 408 Kentucky Avenue, Paducah, KY, 42002-2300. Top applicants will be contacted for interviews. No telephone inquiries please.

Wasn't this one open within the last few months? Have they just not found a candidate they're happy with, or is this a different opening? Any thoughts on the paper or area?

2. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

I have no thoughts on the paper or the area, but you don't want to work for a Paxton paper.

3. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

I'll echo those comments. Paxton is beyond cheap. I have lots of Paxton cheap stories I could tell.

Don't know anything about the paper or area, but isn't Paducah in a dry county (or maybe that's Elizabethtown)?

4. turnovers

turnovers Member

Paducah is wet. Not sure about Elizabethtown.

Their managing editor of umpteen years was fired over Christmas and several reporters have left recently. Although, "Paxton" may be all you need to say.

5. An amen for the previous posts, but allow me to be the one to take up the offering.

6. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Paxton ... nuff said.

7. If you need anything to solidify your thoughts, ask a bunch of those who were working in Durham (N.C.) when Paxton took over and had mass firings. Other Paxton papers have pulled similar screwball jobs, such as Fnerry spoke of.

8. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

The city's very nice. Can't say much about the paper. Although reading the above comments makes me shudder...

9. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

It's probably not a good thing that the paper is in the same city with its corporate headquarters either.

10. turnovers

turnovers Member

The way I hear it, firings happen basically like a cartoon, where you're still kicking your feet while two security guards carry you out of the place before you have a chance to take a leak.

Draft saved Draft deleted