1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pacquiao/Bradley

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dpfunk78, Jun 10, 2012.

1. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Didn't see the fight, but horrific decisions have plagued boxing for decades and nothing will ever change that. (Although traditionally Don King's name has been associated with them more than Arum.)

Some others that have drifted through the transom:

Moddy mentioned Whitaker-Chavez and that was a robbery, but to me Whitaker's title challenge of Jose Luis Ramirez back in 1988 was even worse (with Captain Lou Duva losing his shit as the decision was announced).

Jeff Fenech got royally fucked in his first fight with Azumah Nelson (and memorably screaming at King to "fuck off") only to get his ass handed to him in the rematch in Australia.

Ref Joey Curtis stopping Mike Weaver's title defence in favour of Michael Dokes for no apparent reason 63 seconds in.

Hearns knocking Leonard down twice in their second fight and getting screwed out of the decision. Hagler-Antuofermo I. And the worst decision I have ever seen: Roy Jones getting fucked in the Olympics.

2. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Arum's comments in Dan Rafael's article are pretty awesome though:

Full article is here: http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/8032206/manny-pacquiao-shocked-split-decision-loss-timothy-bradley-jr

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Damn. Strong stuff there

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Has there ever been consideration to adding more judges to boxing?

5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Incompetence2 = Gross Incompetence.

6. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Rematch? Not so fast...

http://www.latimes.com/sports/boxing/la-sp-boxing-pacquiao-bradley-20120611,0,5421219.story

BTW, is that reporter's name perfect for a boxing story, or what!

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Yeah, I've been kind of bewildered by the suggestions that a rematch would be some kind of gold mine. Why would I watch? I've seen them fight and it's a mismatch. I have no need to see it again, just to see if they'll hose Pacquiao a second time.

8. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I don't like to cry "crime of the century" every time there's a questionable decision, but this was in the same category as Chavez/Whitaker and Holyfield/Lewis I. In a lot of the ones I've heard people cry about (Whitaker/De La Hoya, Hagler/Leonard, the second Mosley/De La Hoya fight and Mayweather/De La Hoya are the ones that immediately come to mind) you can make a pretty good case that the judges got it right.
    But there is no way Bradley even earned the 115-113 loss that one judge had.

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Didn't see the fight either, but found this graf in Kevin Iole's gamer most damming:

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Corruption in boxing? Knock me over with a feather.

11. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

I'm in this camp, too.

If I paid $50 or whatever to watch this, plus invested time on a Saturday night, only to have it be a complete waste because of a fix/incompetent judging, there's no way in hell I'm going to spend more time/money on it in 6 months, knowing the exact same thing could happen.

It's like paying to watch pro wrestling, expecting it to be a legitimate competition.

If anything, it probably would be the last straw when it comes to me being a boxing fan.

12. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Got to side with Spike. And let's throw in the Bachelorette too.

Draft saved Draft deleted