1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pacman Jones suspended for the season

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ondeadline, Apr 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Tell Pacman if he appeals, he might just be going for TWO seasons.

And if he ever gets so much as another parking ticket, make it life.

And make it known to the CFL that he better not step on the field there either, or the NFL will bring its bootheel down on them too (i.e. you might just start hearing rumors about an NFL franchise in Toronto ;) ).

Time to bring the hammer down on these fucking thugs.

2. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

Henry and PacMan, burning couches, cars and blunts in a West Virginia town near you!

I'll bet Rich Rodriguez and the Mountaineer faithful sure are proud.

3. boots

boots New Member

I really think this is knee-jerking at is finest by the no fun league.

4. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

So are you saying there hasn't been a rash of arrests in the past, oh, four years? (And I'd guess it goes back further than that)

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I have a better question:

Is it really that difficult to go more than two months without being arrested for something?

He has basically said "F--- you" to society.

So if his employers say "F--- you" to him . . . too bad.

Besides, there are tens of thousands of places he can work.

The NFL just happens not to be one of them.

A "knee-jerk" reaction keeps you from burning off your hand if you touch it to an iron.

Sometimes that's not a bad thing.

6. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

I wouldn't characterize this as knee jerk considering Pacman's last incident resulted in someone getting shot.

And it will stick. I agree with the earlier comment that the league has been lock step with the union on this all the way.

7. boots

boots New Member

If there was a conduct clause in contract, I'm for giving them the boot. But if there wasn't, i don't think its fair. I understand trying to set an example, but I don't think this new commish thought of a ban until the media began talking and writing about it.

8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I agree. It seems like they've agreed to a tougher new policy with the NFLPA over the past several weeks and decided it's OK to apply it retroactively. I'm no fan of Pacman but he should sue the PA for failure to represent him if the union just lets this go and doesn't pursue a grievance on his behalf.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

What you call knee-jerking, I call a strong reaction to a growing problem. Perception matters and the NFL's reputation had definitely taken a hit of late.

10. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

A conduct clause? Should an employer really have to tell a 25 year old "man" not to have his posse shoot up a strip club, not to give alcohol to teenage girls, not to wear his own replica jersey while committing a crime and so on and so forth?

These guys are supposed to be men. They should grow up or pay the price. And sometimes, paying the price is the only way to force someone to grow up. Look at Chad Johnson, for example.

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Of course, there is one scary negative to all this:

Pacman Jones . . . with nothing but time on his hands.

Not a good combination.

12. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Seems to me the NFL can decide who they choose to employ.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.