1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pacman and strippers.... Duke lacrosse and strippers..

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jason_whitlock, Feb 22, 2007.

1. Jemele Hill

Jemele Hill Member

Let's not dance around the 1,000-pound elephant in the room, shall we?

The reason it's not a big deal is because when is black-on-black crime EVER a big news headline? The reason the Duke lacrosse thing was hammered to death because you have BLACK strippers and WHITE boys.

Not right, but this is an obvious one.

2. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Says your expert opinion, right? Does that mean the rest of us are wrong if we call B.S.?

3. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Yeah, the Mike Tyson rape case never got any publicity and the same for the Rae Carruth case. I do believe both victims happened to be black. It's sad that it matters.

4. Jemele Hill

Jemele Hill Member

No, but it's the race element that brought in CNN, the O'Reilly Factor, etc. Correction: the race and sex element.

A black professional athlete getting into trouble at a strip club? Yeah, stop, if you've heard that one before.

I agree this Pacman thing should be getting much bigger play, especially since a) his arrest record, b) the Titans tolerance of his record/actions and c) he's a major play in the NFL.

It's sad, but there is an expectation that this is what black athletes do and how they behave. White guys from well-to-do families, however, do not rape strippers. That's something you don't hear every day.

Again, not saying it's right, but that's why, other than newspapers, other people haven't really heightened the coverage.

5. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

That's pretty much what I said, just put better. She's pretty right on this, whether that's a good thing or not.

6. ondeadline

There's truth in her post, but she asked, " ... when does black on black crime EVER make a big news headline?" I infer from her statement that she's saying that it never happens. If so, she's wrong.

7. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

It's rare when it does happen, as you pointed to a couple of extreme cases. I see the press releases coming in from the District about a murder and it's typically ho-hum in the news. A murder 5 miles up the road in Rockville is handled decidedly different.

8. ondeadline

Is race the ONLY element? I suspect socio-economic status is in play as well.

9. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I'll readily grant that networks like CNN, Court TV and FoxNews are ALL guilty of playing up crimes committed against whites much more so than blacks. But that's CNN, Court TV and Fox. I certainly am NOT going to take ownership for these networks, just like none of us would do the same for ESPN.

Does that mean at local community newspapers and other non-national dailies that crimes against blacks don't get the same play? I'm positive I could provide evidence to the contrary from the two community papers where I worked.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I am speechless at this, not only for its absurdity and ignorance but for its neglecting to take the celebrity factor into play.

11. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

Was the $81,000 in the trashbag all in $1's?

12. tommyp

tommyp Member

The thing that bugs me about this is what did Pacman expect after he threw his money up in the air? In a strip club, no less.

Is no one supposed to touch it?

He deserves whatever he has coming to him.

Draft saved Draft deleted