1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pacman and strippers.... Duke lacrosse and strippers..

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jason_whitlock, Feb 22, 2007.

1. anyone noticing a difference in how these events are being covered?

pacman assaults. his posse shoots. two critically injured. one paralyzed. a woman has her ear clipped.

espn has no business relationship with duke lacrosse.

espn has major business deals with the nba and nfl.

2. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

Jason,
    How do you feel about ESPN?

Signed,
    Ihaven'tacluebecauseyou'veneverreallysaidanythingaboutthemsincetheycannedyou

3. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

ESPNU will, however, be televising Duke's lacrosse opener this weekend.

4. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

I was going to ask if there was any non-website, non-hearsay reports about Jones when I did a Google news search and saw there was an AP story about the club owner contradicting everything Jones said.

The AP story came out today and the Las Vegas Review-Journal story came out Wed. I'll give ESPN and the other major outlets until today/tonight before passing judgement. But it does seem like a bigger story than is being reported -- for now.

EDIT: As of roughly 12:30 p.m. EST, cnnsi.com only has a reference to Jones in the "truth and rumors" section and ESPN.com has it nowhere, not even on its NFL page.

5. keef spoon

keef spoon Member

The NFL is untouchable by all, particularly ESPN. Half the Cincinnati Bengals are on parole? Hey, no biggie. But baseball players use steroids? Oh, the terror!!! (Because, y'know, no NFL players are on HGH or 'roids).

6. andyouare

yahoo, aol, si.com and sportsline have all had stories on pacman jones beginning on monday or tuesday. the las vegas review had a story on tuesday. this stuff has been out there a long, long time.

7. ondeadline

Nothing on this, but an endless supply of the "Field Pass" crap looking at the offseason plights of NFL teams (It's probably not crap if you like the NFL. Me? I'm so glad the season is over and I just wish less of SportsCenter was devoted to the NFL, particularly in the offseason.) I'm really getting tired of ESPN pandering to the NFL. If it bends over any further, it will fall over.

8. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

These are the differences, which has led to the kind of coverage it's gotten in my opinion.

First, the Duke guys were a bunch of rich, white boys doing this sort of less than moral thing inside a college house, a whole picture that contradicts the perception of what a good Duke student should be.

Adam Jones (fuck this pacman bullshit) is perceived as a black thug doing what black thugs are going to do at an event full of black thugs in Las Vegas. People that know of Jones' checkered past, or have gotten used to the Cincinnati Bengals just shrug it off. These sorta things just happen. Besides, we can't go around tarnishing the reputation of the NFL. I mean this is the league of Lombardi, NFL Films, orchestra music!

It's kind of like how a murder in SE DC gets barely a mention on the news. If the same thing happened to a white guy in say, Fairfax, VA then it'd be the top story with a major package from Johnny Hairdye live on the scene. It's all a matter of how the events fit our preconceived notions of society.

9. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

The Duke lacrosse case became a major issue since Mike Nifong made it a major issue and used it to get re-elected. I'm not saying it would've flown under the radar otherwise, but he was the one that kept it in the media for weeks. Think Gil Garcetti with a twang.

10. ondeadline

For what it's worth, Dan Patrick is talking about the Jones story on ESPN Radio right now.

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Is he asking Michael Irvin for his opinion?

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

And there's this sordid mess:

http://www.reviewjournal.com/lvrj_home/2007/Feb-22-Thu-2007/news/12741485.html

Draft saved Draft deleted