1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Packers writer, Journal Sentinel

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Moderator1, May 8, 2007.

1. Mira

Mira Member

Rosiak did Packers Plus in the past, not necessarily along the lines of what Cliff has been doing. But he does help out with Packers coverage in the offseason.

T.R. is a terrific college basketball writer, I think he's happy where he's at right now.

Wilde is good and can generate an amazing amount of copy.

2. If this is true, it's very unfortunate. I think the world of both Wilde's and McGinn's work. They have different styles, true, and perhaps therein lies the rub. But I think the MJS would be missing the boat if Wilde is interested in the position and they pass.

And to the smartass who responds to my post with "Thanks for checking in, Jason," I thank you in advance. I only wish.

3. Jack_Kerouac

Jack_Kerouac Member

They'd be crazy not to hire Dylan. He's one of the hardest-working guys I've met in this business, and he's a hell of a good dude, too.

4. Jason Wilde is not the easiest personality to co-exist with. He's a great writer, but he rubs a lot of people the wrong way. And this comes from someone who didn't have any real problems with him.

So, given that the J-S guys have been competing with him for some time now, it's not completely surprising they might not wish to work alongside him.

5. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

i'll echo the dylan love -- dude is a great guy and a freakin' bulldog on a beat.

6. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

If Tomlinson was such a bulldog, I doubt Appleton would have let him go. The JS, State Journal and even some of the Gannett guys were consistently kicking his ass. I've heard that Tomlinson is a nice guy, but I'm guessing that Gannett's trash is not the Journal-Sentinel's treasure.

7. BillySixty

BillySixty Member

Before we go crowning Dylan as the next Will McDonough, it should be pointed out that he didn't really hold a lead beat spot for the Packers. He was kind of the No. 3 guy.

That being said, he is a hard worker and you never want to see anyone get the ax. The reason he was cut, I'm guessing, is more so because of the job he held rather than his performance. A Packers writer was a luxury for the Appleton paper, considering its new hyper-local focus on soccer tournaments and the like.

Also, those with MJS contacts, is this job really just to fill Cliff Christl's spot? I thought he did little more with the Packers than postgame chats and the occassional feature? I'd have to believe that whomever is hired will at least contribute to Packer Plus on a regular basis.

8. Ahhhhhhh ... makes more sense.

9. BillySixty

BillySixty Member

And boy, did those sources come through for him on Favre's latest comeback. I hope he let Mee-Maw have it.

10. Greenhaus70

Greenhaus70 New Member

Considering the JS' stellar coverage of the Packers, I'd be disappointed to see anyone less than Wilde's caliber getting this position. If so, the JS would be doing a great disservice to their coverage and readers.

11. Jack_Kerouac

Jack_Kerouac Member

They'd be doing a greater disservice to their readers by hiring someone who McGinn doesn't get along with and running off the best beat writer in pro sports.

12. arnold ziffel

arnold ziffel Member

How about hiring Chris Havel?

Draft saved Draft deleted