1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Packers to Favre: You can be Rodgers' backup......take that!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Riddick, Jul 12, 2008.

1. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

He is going to sue because the Packers are prohibiting him from finding gainful employment and he'll force them to at least trade him

2. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

He is under contract to them, you fucking dumbass. He has gainful employment with them and they are under no obligation to start him. The Packers have said, "You are welcome to come back and be employed with us. Aaron Rodgers is our starting quarterback."

3. zagoshe

Oh, that's right -- because, an athlete or a coach has never gotten out of a contract or forced a team's hand when he is unhappy in the history of the NFL.

I mean, John Elway's career with the Colts was amazing and Terrell Owens had an unbelievable career with the Ravens.

4. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Yes, law students from time and immemorial have studied the landmark decision of Elway v. Irsay, 477 U.S. 587 (1987). And don't forget about Owens v. Baltimore Ravens Football Club, 234 N.E.2d 117 (4th. Cir. 2004).

5. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

Zagoshe arguing points of law with PDB. This should be fun.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

I look forward to the third Favre/Packers thread, debuting tomorrow at 11 am.

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Oh, he could sue. And he would lose. He signed a contract and, so long as they're looking for suitors so that he can continue his contract elsewhere, the Packers are doing their part.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Not that I'm advocating the way Favre has done to the Packers lately, but, in a way, I can't blame him for changing his mind about retirement.

If you look at most athletes, they don't get to retire. They get told by the teams in their sport that their services are no longer required. Only the best ones, usually, get to walk out on their own.

Thing is, unless they are 100 percent sure of their decision, they end up regreting their retirements. It's like in 'Everybody's All-American'. An athlete dies twice. Once, when they retire, and their real death.

9. zagoshe

It is not about points of law -- it is about the NFL's lack of balls and the fact that if Brett Favre pushes this issue, get a lawyer in a fancy suit and threatens to be a pain in the ass and a distraction for the entire season, the NFL And Packers will cave and find a way to make it all go away as quietly as possible.

There will be a few draft picks thrown in and Favre will be in another uniform if he really wants to be.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Forcing a trade by being a pain in the ass? Maybe.

Doing it with a lawsuit? Wow, Zag....that one's out there even for you.

11. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Ground already covered, but Favre wants his release so he can pick what team he plays for instead of being traded and getting told what team he plays for. That's being selfish.
    If his competitive fires and desire to play again are bringing him out of retirement - that's fine.
    If those competitive fires make him only want to play for certain teams and force his current employers' hand as to what they can do with him, that's wrong.

12. zagoshe

Or the threat of a lawsuit -- I know this isn't America and we don't sue for a lot less than this and athletes never try to sue or get a lawyer or agent to force the hand of a team....

I know, I know......

Draft saved Draft deleted